owns ancient origins as declared through its name that has
a clear Latin derivation: fundus Avidianus, that means Avidio's
land, a Roman noble ma who lived in a villa here. Other possible
explanation could regard the presence of a temple dedicated
to Giano with the inscription Ave Iane.
Avezzano silently crosses the Middle Ages in order to reappear,
by now like feudal center of sure importance, in a document
of 1343. In this age it is part of the Reign
Angioino of Naples in order then to pass is to the Orsini
and to the Colonna family.
Avezzano, with the devastating earthquake of 1915,
has lost great part of its artistic patrimony but we remember
in the city the restored Castle Orsini-Colunna
(1490) and a outside of the city the church of the Madonna
di Pietraquaria and the Cunicoli di Nerone
(built by the emperor Claudio in order to drain the lake Fucino).