is one of the most beautiful medieval villages of Italy but
the zone was inhabited since the times of the Romans as proved
by the rests of funeral equipments and inscriptions found
in the area and the Plinio's citation that remembers it with
the name of Pagus Fabianis.
Grown around Castello Cantelmo, Pettorano
was encircled of walls in the High Middle Ages and was considered
a strategic center for the Empire by Federico II of Svevia.
In order to visit Pettorano you can enter through one of the
six doors of the town-walls and, walking upstream, stop admiring
its palaces: Palazzo Ducale with a beautiful
Fontana in the center of Piazza Zannelli; Palazzo Barocco
or Castaldina and Palazzo Croce.
But the true goal in Pettorano sul Gizio is Castello
Cantelmo. Originally was composed only from the central
sighting tower with pentagonal plant but later was encircled
of walls and increased in size. The castle was protagonist
of the Italian historical vicissitudes passing under the infuence
of the Duca di Spoleto, of Pope Gregorio
IX in 1229, then to the Svevi, to
the Angioini, and finally in the hands of
the Cantelmo, come in Italy from the Scozia
to the continuation of Carl of Angiò, than they held
it for longest time until 1750.