The Old Part, constructed
on the peninsula between the New and the Old Ports, is dominated
by the beautiful Roman Cathedral of San Sabino (11th Century;
rebuilt in the 12th and 13th and readjusted during the 18th
Century – to the side of the Cathedral, the construction
of the “Trulla” rises up, the old Baptistery later
transformed into a Sacristy) and by the mighty and imposing
Norman Castle, restored by Federico II between 1233-1240 (the
bastions were added in the 16th Century).
monuments from the Roman-Pugliese architecture are the Cathedral
of San Nicola, in which lies the blessed relics of the Holy
Bishop of Mira in Licia, brought here by marine and merchants
of Bari in 1087; in the interior, there is a precious Episcopal,
marble throne from the 11th Century and the monument dedicated
to Bona Sforza (16th Century).
Next to the Old City, the New City developed from the large,
draught like roads, in which can be found notable Palaces
of the Provinces (which preserve a rich picture-gallery),
the grandiose Palace of the University (inaugurated in 1925),
work of Giovanni Castelli in which the Archaeological and
Syndicate Library (humanistic) and that of Di Venere-Ricchetti
(scientific), the Piccinni and Petruzzelli theatres are housed.
The Petruzzelli theatre was almost completely destroyed by
a fire in 1991. In May 1997, rebuilding works began.
From 1984, in the Valenzano area, the technological park Tecnopolis
came into existence.
Tourism is expanding notably (coastal bars, areas of conical
section habitation, natural grottos, and castles). The following
places are amongst the main centres of the province which
are interesting for their historical/artistic testimony, their
natural walks or as eno/gastronomic tours: Alberobello, Altamura,
Andria, Barletta, Bisceglie, Bitonto, Canosa, Castellana,
Grotte, Corato, Gravina, Molfetta, Monopoli, Rutigliano, Trani.