Armento rises 700 metres above sea level
in the splendid Val d’Agri, one of the main cultural
basins of Basilicata.
The hills where the current habitation is situated, has
been inhabitated since the Magno-Greek Era (VII century BC),
during which time a Potter’s School was developed in
Armento; master potters who guaranteed wealth and development
for the ancient village.
Instead, the current centre seems to be derived from Galasa
or Calasarna, an ancient Greek centre, cited by Strabone,
which was conquered by the Romans after the wars with Pirro
Remains of Senator Terenzio Lucano’s habitation have
been found from the Roman Era, whilst the existence of a castrum
in Armento is testified since the beginning of the Christian
Between 726 and 730, the Basilian Monks arrived in Armento,
in escape from iconoclastic politics from the Eastern Emperor,
Armento merged into the Longobard Dukedom of Salerno and experienced
the arrival of the Saracens (972), but the population was
distinguished for their courage and victorious confrontation.
During the subsequent century, it became Norman property and
actively participated in the Crusades in the Holy Land, led
by Goffredo of Buglione (1090).
In 1068, Robert Guiscard’s nephew, a noble of Montescaglioso
and Tricarico, decided to donate the village of Armento to
the Bishop of Tricarico. From then until the XVIII century,
Armento was governed by ecclesiastics.
During the XVII century, the village was scourged by the Plague
(1630, 1656) which decimated the population and by Earth tremors
(1659, 1694), which damaged the habitation and monuments.
King Ferdinand IV declared Armento a Royal City (1786). After
the Republican and Renaissance experience, during which Armento
actively contributed, it became a free city under the Bourbons
before the arrival of Garibaldi and then became part of the
Reign of Italy (1861).
During the last century, Armento and all of Lucania were once
again badly shaken by seismic events (1908, 1930, 1980).
A visit to the City
Armento preserves noteworthy monuments, beginning with the
San Luca Abate Church, which preserves works from the ‘500s,
and the Mother Church, which hosts a Polyptych from the XVI
On the outskirts of Armento, one can visit other religious
buildings and the areas containing archaeological digs from
the Greek period. One can visit the Sacred Area at Serra Lustrante
from the VI century BC, dedicated to the cult of the Greek
Places of interest
The Mother Church; San Luca Abate Church, Madonna del Carmine
Church; San Vitale Church; San Luca Chapel; Sant’Antonio
Church“extra Moenia” (outside the City walls);
Lunga Fountain; Palazzo Catoggio; Palazzo Terenzio Lucano;
Madonna della Stella Sanctuary; Archaeological Digs in Serra