On a slope of Mount Mancino, situated in the Pollino National
Park, is where one can visit Calvera, an
area surrounded by thick and striking woods.
Kalaurus was its first name, referring to the clean air
of the place, around which the first habitation nucleus sprung
up during the X century thanks to some Greek Basilian Monks.
It was primarily a Longobard Centre, then a Norman one during
the XI century, during which time the Castle was already documented.
During the subsequent century, the fief was bought by nobles
of Chiaromonte from the Carbone Monastery (1134) for the sum
of 500 ducats. Its administration and control remained in
ecclesiastic hands until the XV century when the Noble Ercole
I Sanseverino took over occupation of the fief.
During the Medieval era, it became an important centre for
the production of silk.
The Sanseverino family ruled Calvera until 1732, the year
in which the village was sold due to debts to Baron Don Giuseppe
Donnaperna of Tursi.
After the Republican experience of the Reign of Naples (1799
and 1806-1815) and the Renaissance motions, it passed over
to the newly formed Reign of Italy during 1861. During 1875
a landslide damaged the village and part of its Matrix Church.
A visit to the City
One can visit various nobiliary buildings in the City which
are beautiful and interesting from an architectonic point
of view: Palazzo Martinese and Palazzo Mazzilli, both externally
adorned with ornate plaques.
The Chiesa Madre (Mother Church), dedicated to the Madonna
of Carmine, hosts interesting 17th century canvases.
One must not forget to stop at Belvedere whilst visiting Calvera,
to admire the beautiful landscape of the Serrapotamo Valleys.
Just outside Calvera, one can visit the San Gaetano Chapel
which conserves precious wooden statues.
In the surrounding area of Calvera, one can also enjoy pleasant
nature walks in the Mazzi woods and Titolo.
Place of interest
Chiesa Matrice della Madonna del Carmine (Matrix Church;
S. Gaetano Church; Palazzo Mazilli (‘700s); Palazzo
De Nigris (‘800s); Palazzo Martinese; Palazzo Signorile;
Edicole votive (Votive stands); San Gaetano Chapel (1701);
Sulphureous Springs in the Vallina district.