Situated on a riverbank opposite the rich Basento Valley,
where Pietrapertosa and Castelmezzano are situated, Campomaggiore
enjoys a splendid panoramic position on the “Dolomiti
The origins of its name is linked to the existence of a campsite
during the Roman era called Campus Maior.
Not much is known of the High Medieval period, but the habitation
reappeared in historical documents during 1150 by the name
of Campum Maiorem.
Being loyal to the Normans (XI and XI centuries) and the Swabians
(XIII century), Campomaggiore opposed the Angioiniansans (1268)
descent, paying for this through siege and destruction by
French troops. The new sovereigns made it a fief of powerful
families: the Beaumont and Tournespèe.
In 1673 it passed over to Count Gerardo Antonio Rendina, following
its abandonment around the 1600s after a long period of economic
Campomaggiore was seat of a Rivendita Carbonara (Smaller city
associations linked to the Carbonari movement which promoted
independent ideas) and enthusiastically participated in the
Renaissance and Unitarian motions which led it into the Reign
of Italy during 1861.
In 1885 it was abandoned by its inhabitants due to danger
of a landslide and the village was reconstructed further up
A visit to the City
One passes through Campomaggiore to enjoy the beauty of its
territory, the panoramic views from the “Dolomiti Lucane”
and the naturalistic richness of the area.
The current City has recent foundations (end of XIX century),
but one can visit the Chiesa Madre (Mother Church) which hosts
a painting depicting the Madonna with Child that came from
the ancient church which was destroyed by a landslide.
The remains of Palazzo Baronale offer an impressive visit
to the area where the old village was located. Not too far
from here, one can also enjoy a visit to the Casino della
Contessa, a Marquis’s villa.
Place of interest
Chiesa Madre della Madonna del Carmelo (1938); the ruins
of Palazzo Baronale; Casino della Contessa.