A centre of Medieval origins dominating the Valle del Lao,
Castelluccio Superiore lies on the confines
of the Pollino National Park on a rocky spur, 750 metres above
Casteluccio Superiore sprung up on the ruins of the City
of Tebe Lucana which was founded by the Osci and destroyed
many times in battle.
It belonged to various nobles over the centuries, among which,
the Sanseverino family who fortified it, Palmieri, Cicinelli
and the Pescara di Diano who administered Castelluccio Superiore
until the abolition of Feudal Rights (1806).
The same feudatories ruled neighbouring Castelluccio Inferiore,
which was always linked to the Superiore part, until 1813,
when it was separated from and administrative point of view.
During 1799, Bourbonic troops took refuge here in escape from
A visit to the City
The village conserves an integral Medieval town planning
structure with the Castle of the feudatories on the summit,
which preserves some ruins.
The San Nicola Church, dating back to the XII century, hosts
a precious marble altar, whilst the 16th century Chiesa Madre
(Mother Church), dedicated to S. Margherita of Antiochia,
preserves a wooden choir.
Whilst walking through the village, one can admire noble buildings
(Pizzo, La Grotta, Eredi Ginnari) and stop at one of the beautiful
fountains in the Medieval centre.
Not too far from the village, on Monte Zaccana, one can visit
the Madonna del Soccorso Sanctuary (XVII) century.
Place of interest
Ruins of the Castle; Parrocchiale (Parsonage/Parochial) of
Santa Margherita (XVI century); San Nicola Church (XII century);
Madonna del Soccorso Sanctuary (XVII century); S. Maria of
Loreto Church; Madonna del Carmine Church; Santa Lucia or
S. Antonio Church; S. Sebastiano Chapel; S. Francesco Chapel;
Palazzo Pizzo, Palazzo La Grotta; Palazzo Eredi Ginnari; Fountains.