At the foot of the spectacular rocky area of the Dolomiti
Lucane is where one will find Castelmezzano,
a City of the Valle del Basento (Basento Valleys), a few kilometres
The territory results as inhabited since ancient times by
a Magno-Greek population who landed on the coastal area (V
century BC) and founded the nearby centre of Maudoro.
Castelmezzano sprung up during the Longobard era as a stronghold
to defend Longobard territories during their reign (VII century).
Castelmezzano was occupied by the Saracens (IX century) together
with Pietrapertosa and Abriola, then re-conquered by the Longobards
from the Principality of Salerno, who then destroyed it.
The Normans rebuilt Castelmezzano (XI century), constructed
the Castle then assigned it to a certain Tommaso.
Under the Swabians (XIII century) it continued to prosper,
so much so that Castelmezzano participated in the Ghibelline
revolts against the Angioiniansans, who then became the new
nobles of the South (1268).
The Angioiniansans made it a fief under Guglielmo de Tournespèe
and later Roberto de Ponziano.
During 1310 it passed under the diocese of Potenza and in
1324 under Acerenza.
With the Aragonese ascension to the throne of Naples (1442),
Castelmezzano was assigned to various families: Garlon d’Alife,
Suardo, De Leonardis (1580) and the de Lerma Family (1686)
who kept it until the abolition of Feudal rights (1806).
Following unification of the Reign of Italy (1861) and the
fall of the Reign of the Two Sicilies, the phenomenon of brigandage
fed from the spillages of Bourbonic troops was asserted. Due
to its geographic position, Castelmezzano and its forests
were the main places of refuge for the brigands.
A visit to the City
Castelmezzano enjoys a panoramic position which offers striking
settings and the possibility of naturalistic excursions to
In this noteworthy village one can visit the Chiesa Madre
(Mother Church) dating back to the XIII century, which hosts
a precious wooden statue depicting the Madonna with Child
(XIV century). The Madonna delle Grazie Chapel is also interesting
as well as the ruins of the town-walls and the Castle.
One can enjoy a visit to the Capperino torrent and admire
the ruins of the ancient mills.
Not too far away, there is also the habitation of Campomaggiore,
which consents striking visits to abandoned parts of the village.
Place of interest
S. Maria dell’Olmo Mother Church (XIII century); Remains
of the Castle walls; Madonna delle Grazie Chapel (XV century);
Ruins of the Castrum Medianum Castle; Regional Park of Gallipoli
Cognato and Piccole Dolomiti; Dolomiti Lucane.