Episcopia is located in a panoramic position
along the Sinni Valley, in the interior of the Pollino National
The centre’s name derives from the Greek Epis Kopia,
meaning a look out post over the surrounding lands, which
appeared during the Greek-Byzantine era.
The village developed not long after with the arrival of the
Normans. It belonged to the Guiscardo family, who decided
to construct the Castle (1090). During 1137, Ruggero the Norman,
entrusted Episcopia to Jacopo della Roma and with the event
of the Swabians of Frederick II (XIII century), it became
the property of Don Ruggero Battaglia.
The arrival of the Angioiniansans (1268), who defeated the
Swabians in battle, coincided for Episcopia with the ascension
to power of the Sanseverino family, who governed the village
Following this, it was bought by Camillo Della Porta (1500),
whose family ruled until 1730, when Episcopia passed to the
Chiaromonte family, and at the end of the XVIII century, to
the Brancalosso family. The latter kept it until the abolition
of feudal rights (1806).
Subsequently, ownership of the village was divided between
the farmers of the territory.
During the Renaissance era, Episcopia adhered to Republican
ideals, becoming one of the major centres of Basilicata which
contributed to the proclamation of the end of the Bourbonic
Reign of the Two Sicilies (1860) and to the birth of the Reign
of Italy (1861).
A visit to the City
The centre of Episcopia coincided with its most representative
construction: the Castle of Norman foundation, which preserves
two towers, one cylindrical and one quadrangular.
The Chiesa Madre of San Nicolo is interesting and preserves
in its interior, a wooden statue depicting the Madonna with
Child (XIV century).
Strolling through the City, one notices the many nobiliary
buildings which embellish the village.
On the outskirts of the City, one can find the Sant’Antonio
Convent and Church.
Just outside Episcopia, one can visit the Santa Maria del
Its geographic location in the interior of the Pollino Park
allows numerous naturalistic excursions which lead to springs
or panoramic spots around Episcopia.
Place of interest
The Feudal Castle (XIV century); S. Antonio Convent and Church
(XVI century); S. Maria del Piano Sanctuary (X century); Chiesa
Madre (Mother Church) of S. Nicola (XVII-XVIII century); the
remains of the Frabasile Chapel; Chiesetta dell’Addolorata;
S. Rocco Church (XVIII century); Palazzo Cocchiaro-Frabasile
(XV century); Palazzo Frabasile (XIX century); Palazzo Guerriero;
Palazzo De Salvo; Palazzo Verderosa; Greek Archaeological
Area in the Pallareta and Cornale localites; Colle dei Greci
Archaeological Area; Miretta, Tarantola and Serrituro Springs;
Panoramic spots in the Manca di Sopra and “Gironi”
di Episcopia districts.