Genzano Lucania is a location belonging
to the Alto Bradano region, and enjoys a panoramic position
in the Murge territory.
The habitation lies on the ruins of a pagus of neighbouring
After being fortified by the Norman Robert Guiscard (XI century),
Gentianum was not part of the clash between the Swabians and
Angioiniansans (1268). It was then assigned by the latter
in fief to Pandolfo Fasanello.
Subsequently, Genzano Lucania
passed hands to Queen Sancia and the powerful Sanseverino
family from Tricarico.
Matteo Ferrillo bought it from the Aragonese and gave it in
dowry to his daughter Beatrice who, having married Ferrante
Orsini, Duke of Gravina, allowed the dowry to be enjoyed by
the entire country.
Beginning in 1617, it was a fief of the De Marinis family,
already Princes of Palazzo San Gervasio, and who ruled Genzano
until the abolition feudal rights (1806).
During 1860, Genzano participated in the Liberal motions which
led it to the declaration of the end of the Reign of the Two
Sicilies and the birth of the Reign of Italy (1861).
After the Unity, it experienced the hurt of the brigandage
phenomenon, which moreover, it was opposed to, and the inevitable
migration across the ocean as well as the depopulation of
the territory due to poverty.
A visit to the City
In the higher part of the village lies the Castle, which
today is seat of the Town Hall, where one can admire the Cavallina
Fountain and the Roman statute of the Goddess Cerere (I century
Among the churches to visit, we would like to cite the Annunziata
Church and the ruins of the Clarisse Convent, S. Maria della
Platea and S. Maria delle Grazie.
The village still preserves part of its Medieval walls.
Not too distant, one can visit the beautiful Monserico Castle.
Place of interest
The Castle; S. Maria della Platea Church; Sacro Cuore Church;
Madonna del Carmine Church; Clarisse Convent (1300); Annunziata
Church (‘500s); S. Maria della Grazie Church; S. Antonio
Church; Cavallina Fountain; Walls and Portals; Monserico Castle.