In a panoramic position in the Valle del Sauro, is where
one will come across Guardia Perticara, a
centre of ancient foundation.
Its name derives from the Latin Castrum Perticarii, one of
the perches in which the latifundia or large estates were
divided during the Longobard period.
The territory, however, was inhabited since the Bronze Age,
as demonstrated by finds of a Necropolis from the Enotri population
(X century BC), which has also brought to light funerary jewels,
vases and ceramics.
It was destroyed by the Saracens during the X century and
abandoned for some years. It was then reconstructed by the
Normans during the XI century and entrusted to Ruggiero di
With the event of the Angioinians who prevailed over the Swabians
(1268), Guardia Perticara became a fief of Giovanni Britando.
The village was a fief of the following families: Della Marra
(‘400s), Nobility of Stigliano, Carafa (‘500s),
Colonna (‘700s); and the Spinelli family who ruled it
until the end of feudal rights (1806).
The 1980 earthquake caused grave damage to the centre of Guardia
A visit to the City
The City preserves an intact Medieval structure made up of
narrow streets, stairways, doorways and visible stone fountains.
Cultural visits to the following churches are interesting:
S. Nicolò Magno, S. Maria di Sauro and S. Antonio.
Climbing up the summit of the village, one will reach the
remains of the ancient Medieval Castle.
One can visit one of the most interesting Necropolises (IX-V
centuries BC) of Basilicata in the San Vito locality. Here
one can enrich one’s knowledge of the population of
Not too distant, it is possible to visit the remains of the
ancient City of Turri, which was abandoned during the XVI
century, as well as some Basilian grottoes.
Place of interest
The Chiesa Madre of S. Nicolò Magno; S. Antonio Church
and Convent (XVI century; S. Maria of Sauro Church (XIV century);
Palazzo Montano (XVII century) Fountains; the ruins of the
ancient City of Turri; Basilian Grottos; Enotrian Necropolises
in the S. Vito locality.