On a slope of Mount Sirino, not too far from the Tyrrhenian
coast of the Policastro Gulf, is where one will find Lagonegro,
an agricultural and touristic centre near to the Regional
Reserve of Lake Laudemio.
Its name derives from the Latin Lacus Niger referring to
the existence of a small lake or waterhole on its territory
at some point in time.
Its foundation came about by the hands of Basilian monks who
built the Convent of S. Filippo (IX century).
The Longobards decided to fortify the village and the Normans
assigned it to the earldom or county of Lauria, where it remained
until the advent of the Swabians (1196).
The advent of the Angioiniansans (1268) and the outbreak of
war with the Aragonese (1282), led to the occupation of Lagonegro
by the Almugaveri (1284), who were Afro-Catalan mercenary
It was re-taken by the Angioiniansans and assigned to the
following families: Sanseverino, Sforza and Carafa until 1551,
when it succeeded in freeing itself from feudal power. The
population celebrated by destroying the Castle; a symbol of
During 1657, a Plague epidemic brought Lagonegro to its knees.
Lagonegro adhered to the Republican motions of 1799. During
the clash between the Bourbon government and the French, it
was plundered by the latter during 1806.
A visit to the City
Piazza Grande is the centre of the City, where one will come
across the Trinità Cathedral, a 19th century Fountain
and the 18th century Palazzo Corrado. Adjacent to the Palazzo,
one can visit the Madonna delle Grazie Church and the beautiful
Sant’Anna Church (1665), which preserves a wooden Madonna
from the XV century and a precious 17th century altar piece.
It is possible to visit the more ancient part of the habitation
by climbing the steps, which in 1603, substituted the old
draw-bridge. By entering the Iron Gateway, one will arrive
in the panoramic area of the Castle ruins.
Here is where the ancient cathedral is positioned: the Medieval
San Nicola with wooden works in its interior, which according
to tradition, should also contain the tomb of Lisa del Giocondo,
the famous Monna Lisa of Leonardo da Vinci.
Place of interest
The San Nicola of Bari Church (X century); Castle ruins;
Palazzo Corrado (‘700s); Walls and Gateways; Trinità
Cathedral; Crocifisso Church; S. Maria Assunta Church; S.
Maria degli Angeli Church and Convent; S. Francesco Church
and Convent; Madonna del Rosario Church; S. Anna Church (1665);
Madonna del Sirino Church; Madonna delle Grazie Church; Purgatorio
Church; Candelora Church; Ss. Sacramento or Carmine Church;
S. Maria dei Martiri Church; S. Giovanni Church; Madonna del
Bosco Church; Regional Reserve of Lake Laudemio.