Lavello is a locality of Alto Bradano, situated
on the confines of Northern Puglia. It is an agricultural
and industrial centre which preserves interesting architectonic
Its territory was inhabited since Neolithic times, and there
were many settlements on the surrounding hills since the Iron
Age. The Daunii founded Forentum. Some Necropolises testify
to the activity in these centres up to the III century BC.
During the Medieval era, it was known as Labellum, a name
which derives from Labrum, that is an animal drinking trough.
These animals passed from here in transhumance along the cattle-track
which joins Vùlture to the Tavoliere foggiano (Foggia
It assumed major importance after being conquered by the Normans,
who saw construction of the Castle. During the same century,
Lavello became an Episcopal seat (XI century).
The Swabians amplified the fortress, where the heir to the
Imperial throne, Corrado IV of Swabia died (1254).
In the clash between the Guelphs and Ghibellines, Lavello
lined up against the latter (1268), paying for this choice
by an onslaught and a large part of the village being burnt
(1298) by the troops of Carlo I d’Angiò.
Under the Angioiniansans, it was given in fief to Galard d’Ivry,
who was succeeded by numerous feudatories until the advent
of power of the Orsini del Balzo family. Following this, it
became a Lordship of the following families: Del Tufo (1507),
Pignatelli and the Caracciolo family, who ruled it until the
end of feudal rights (1806).
The population adhered to both the Republican motions of 1799
and that of the Carbonari during 1820-21, but then later became
one of the major centres of the Legitimist movement following
the Unity of Italy (1861), in the hope of bringing back Bourbon
During this period, the brigandage phenomenon was rife and
favoured. Some bands were accommodated here.
A visit to the City
One can visit the ancient churches in the City: S. Maria
delle Rose and S. Maria ad Martyres Churches, both dating
back to the XII century and later adjusted during the ‘700s.
The Sant’Anna Church is also esteemed. It preserves
a canvass from the XVI century in its interior.
The Castle, situated in the Medieval quarter of Lavello, hosts
an antiquary exhibiting Daunii archaeological finds uncovered
in Necropolises from the surrounding area.
The remains of a Roman thermal building known by the name
of Casa del Diavolo, can also be visited in the area.
Place of interest
The Swabian Castle, S. Mauro Cathedral (XI century); S. Giovanni
Church; S. Anna Church; Madonna del Principio Church; Sant’Antonio
Church; Palazzo Giaculli; Gavetta Fountain; Zoccolanti Convent;
S. Maria dell Rose Church (XII century); S. Maria ad Martyres
Church (XII century); Necropolises in the San Felice district;
Casa del Diavolo; Remains of Roman Thermal Baths.