In the North Eastern part of Basilicata, a few kilometres
from the border with Campania, is where the ancient centre
of Muro Lucano can be found. It is dominated
from the hill summit by its castle.
Its foundation came about during the period of barbaric invasions
(V century AD) by the hands of refugees from ancient Numistro,
which was positioned in the Raia San Basile district.
The Roman centre made headline news when in 219 BC it became
the stage for a battle between Hannibal, the Carthaginian
General and Consul Claudio Marcello.
Today, not much remains of Numistro, also known as Muro Romana
except the megalithic walls, traces of habitation, the remains
of a Roman temple and the ruins of the Basilian monastery
from the Medieval era.
The Medieval Murum was a fortified Longobard centre where
the first tower was erected (VIII century).
Basilian monks from the East arrived during this period.
During the XI century it passed hands to the Normans who amplified
Muro Lucano was involved in the Ghibelline Revolts (1268)
against the Angioiniansans, who subsequently made it a fief
of the Sanseverino family and gave the Castle its present
Queen Giovanna D’Angiò was assassinated in the
Castle under the orders of Carlo III of Durazzo (1382.)
Muro Lucano was a fief of the following families: Durazzeschi,
Ferino and Orsilli of Gravina.
During the ‘700s it enjoyed a period of economic development
through the birth of textile and fulling-mill industries,
and at the end of the century actively participated in the
Republican Motions (1799) which were linked to the Republic
Muro Locano has often been damaged through history by earthquakes
(1694, 1857, 1930) and still has an open wound from seismic
activity during 1980.
A visit to the City
The primary architectonic structure in Muro Lucano is its
Castle which was founded during the VIII century and then
re-constructed during the Angioiniansan era (XIV century).
Today it preserves very little of its Medieval structure due
to reconstruction following the 1980 earthquake.
Among the religious buildings, we would like to cite the Cathedral,
which already existed during the X century but has been heavily
re-adjusted, and the San Marco and Sant’Antonio Churches.
One can also visit the National Archaeological Museum in Muro
which exhibits Lucani finds from the Bronze and Iron Ages.
There are many excursions and possible visits, among which
that to the ruins of Numistro, the Roman bridge on Rescio
and the Chiesetta (small church) of Capodigiano (XIII Century).
Place of interest
The Castle (XIV century); San Nicola Cathedral (X century);
Monument to Fallen Soldiers of Saverio Gatto; San Marco Church;
S. Antonio Church; Carmine Church (1606); Numistro or “Muro
Romana”; Roman Bridge on the Restio River; Vucculi Grottoes;
Chiesetta (small Church) in Capodigiano; Cappuccini Church
and Convent (XVI century).
The birth of San Gerardo Majella on 6th April; Feast of the
Madonna of Fatima on 13th May; Feast of Sant’Antonio
on 13th June; Feast of San Vitor on 15th June; Feast of the
Madonna delle Grazie on 2 July; Feast of San Gerardo Majella
on 2nd September; Feast of San Gerardo on 16 October.