Nova Siri is situated in a panoramic position
close to the Jonic Coast in the Gulf of Taranto.
It was capital of Siritide and known by the name of Siris
(VII century BC) and was part of the Magno Greek colonies
of the Jonic Coast. Later the inhabitants migrated inland
giving birth to the present day centre.
The Romans called it Castrum Boletum.
Carlo I of d’Angiò gave it in fief to the Monfort
family and in 1319 it passed to the Sangineto family then
the Sanseverino (1447), Montenegro, De Castro (1505), Montalbano,
Raimondi (1596) and finally the Crivelli family (1717) who
kept it until 1806, the year of abolition of feudal rights.
The City participated in the motions of 1820-21, hosting a
Rivendita Carbonara (Smaller city associations linked to the
Carbonari movement which promoted independent ideas) and motions
which took it to unification into the Reign of Italy (1861).
Nova Siri was gravely damaged by terrible seismic activity
in 1857 and then was further offended by brigandism.
It was called Bollita until 1872, a name deriving from the
Latin Boletus, which signifies mushroom.
At the beginning of the 20th century it experienced the sad
migration phenomenon, which was interrupted only when the
lands of Metapontino were reclaimed then used for agriculture
and later with the birth of the seaside tourist industry.
A visit to the City
In the higher part of the City is where one will find the
Castle, today used as a private dwelling. The Rione Porticella
is very characteristic and contains “Lamie,” which
are interlaced arches with crossed vaults.
The Santa Maria Assunta Mother Church is also interesting,
with its Baroque façade and paintings from the ‘700s
in its interior. Nearby, one can also visit the Annunziata
In the Sant’Alessio district, one can visit two Roman
baths containing sulphurous water. Other testimonies from
the distant past are the remains of the Imperial Villa of
Cigno dei Vagni.
Place of interest
The Castle; S. Maria Assunta Mother Church; Rione Porticella;
Roman Baths in the S. Alessio District; Annunziata Chapel;
Sulla Chapel; Ruins of Villa Romana di Cigno dei Vagni; Bollita
Tower (1520) on the Jonic Coast; Seaside centre of Marina
in Nova Siri.
Feast of San Giuseppe on 19th March; Feast of Sant’Antonio
on 13th June, Feast of the Madonna of Carmine on 16th June.