Not too far from Venosa is where one will find Palazzo
San Gervasio, a locality of Alto Brádano,
in its beautiful panoramic position.
The village developed around a Palatium built by Robert Guiscard
during 1050, which was the home of the Norman princes. Spirito
Santo was the first district to develop containing a small
church which was mentioned in two Papal Bulls (22nd May 1103
and 16th June 1106).
Frederick II had the Castle amplified where he stayed there
for various hunts. From 1250, King Manfred, legitimate son
of the Emperor and Bianca Lancia lived there.
Carlo I d’Angiò assigned the fief to Nicola Frezzano
from Venosa (1267).
During 1434, Queen Giovanna II of Naples granted Palazzo San
Gervasio to her niece Cobella Ruffo and in 1507 it became
fief of the Caracciolo family.
In 1532 Emperor Carlo V of Hapsburg granted the fief to Baron
Ferrante D’Alarcon de Mendoza and subsequently, it was
acquired by Donna Lucrezia della Tolfa (1564). In 1587 it
became the property of Carlo del Tufo, who sold it to the
Duke of Acerenza Galeazzo Pinelli (1597). In 1615 it was bought
by Antonio Cattaneo of Genoa, and passed to the De Marinis
family through marriage. The latter kept it until the end
of feudalism (1806).
During 1799 it adhered to the Republican motions by planting
a Freedom Tree in the square and suffered attack and repression
from Sanfediste (Defenders of the Holy Faith) troops.
In 1809 the village suffered a violent attack by brigands
and the following year, Baron De Marinis won the case for
possession of the Latifundia (large landed property) of Palazzo
by producing false documents and therefore causing starvation
of the population for years.
A visit to the City
Palazzo San Gervasio sits in a panoramic position in the
Vúlture and the Murge and is dominated by its Norman-Swabian
Castle, which has been heavily re-adjusted.
The Parish Church, dedicated to San Nicola, is in a Romanesque
Palazzo D’Errico is noteworthy and hosts an interesting
Place of interest
The Norman-Swabian Castle; San Nicola Parish Church; Palazzo
D’Errico; Fons Bandusiae which was mentioned by Orazio.