On a panoramic hill close to Potenza is where Picerno
is situated. It is a characteristic village famous for the
production of Salumi meaning cold meats.
Its foundation dates back to the II century BC, maybe being
connected to the escape of the Acerrona inhabitants from Hannibal’s
military during the Second Punic War. Castrum Pizeni was founded
on higher and more secure ground.
Its name derives from pice and the suffix erno, which signifies
the “place where pitch (tar) was extracted”.
With the arrival of the Normans (mid XI century) the cylindrical
tower was built, which still today dominates the village.
It belonged to the Pocamato nobles and later the Gualdino
de Glosa and Amor.
Carlo d’Angiò assigned the fief of Picerno to
Eustasio de Juvenicio (1268), but shortly afterwards it became
the fief of Taxino de Jovine (1270) and Giovanni Pipino, Count
of Potenza (1301).
During 1337 Iacopo Sanseverino, count of Tricarico, sold the
fief to Filippo de Sus.
In 1456, after the Aragonese’s ascension to the throne
of Naples, Picerno firstly became a fief of the Caracciolo
family and then the following families: Spinella di Scalea,
Muscettola and finally the Pignatelli, Prince of Marsiconuovo
who kept it until the end of feudalism (2nd August 1806).
Picerno was among one of the main Republican centres during
1799, opposing great resistance to the Bourbonic and Vatican
troops. On 10th May of the same year, after courageous resistance
it fell, meriting the name of “Lioness of Lucania”.
The 1857 earthquake gravely damaged the appearance of Picerno.
A visit to the City
The Annunziata Church (‘300s) in the City is noteworthy.
It preserves funerary marble reliefs in its façade
from the I century BC. One can also visit the Parish Church
of S. Nicola which was erected on the remains of the Medieval
Not too far outside the village, which is embellished with
nobiliary buildings with elegant stone portals, one can visit
the 15th century Assunta Church, which guards in its interior
a Madonna with Child by Antonio Stabile from 1577.
The cylindrical Medieval Tower dominates the Picerno habitation
Picerno is one of the places of Basilicata where Galloitalico
is spoken, as a consequence of the migration of populations
from Monferrato (Piemonte) following the Angioiniansans (XIII
Place of interest
The Norman Tower; Annunziata Church (‘300s); San Nicola
Mother Church (‘700s); Assunta Church (1462); Cappuccini
Church (1593); Palazzo Caivano (‘600s); Palazzi Scarilli
Feast of San Nicola of Bari on 9th May; Feast of San Donato
on 7th August; Feast of Santa Maria Assunta on 15th August;
Feast of San Rocco on 17th & 18th August; Feast of Sant’Egidio
on 1st September.