Ripacandida is a well known centre for the
production of oil and wine and enjoys a beautiful panoramic
position on Monte Vúlture.
Ripacandida developed after invasions by the Goths of Alarico
(V century AD), who made the inhabitants of Candida Latinorum
escape to these hills.
Its territory, however, was already inhabited during the Magno-Greek
era from the VII to the IV century BC.
Its name was connected by some to the abandoned centre of
Candida Latinorum and by others to the white rocks on which
it is positioned.
It was a fortified Longobard centre and under the Normans
actively participated in the First Crusade during the time
of Boemondo d’Altavilla, son of Robert Guiscard. It
belonged to the Norman noble, Ruggiero Marescalco.
It didn’t take part in the Ghibelline revolt and swore
fidelity to the Angioiniansans (1268), later becoming a fief
of Goffredo da Tizzanello (1283). Filippo della Leonessa followed
him (1294) and then Sergio di Siginolfo (1306).
It was plundered by the French troops of Lautrec (1528) then
assigned to the Grimaldi family during 1532, after a Spanish
victory. It then passed to the Roccapianola and Mazzacchera
di Castelgarramone families.
During 1861, the year of the Unity of Italy, it was one of
the promoters of the Bourbon Legitimist Movement which led
to the proclamation of a provisional governor of Melfi.
Its territory also became a refuge for anti-government exponents
who reunited in a movement called Brigandage.
A visit to the City
One can visit the S. Maria del Sepolcro Cathedral, which
is embellished by a beautiful portal, but maybe it is San
Donato which is the most important church of Ripacandida.
It was built prior to the year One thousand and cited in a
Papal Bull during 1152. The church has a Gothic style and
preserves frescoes from the XVI century.
One can also visit the remains of a Roman Aqueduct on its
territory connected to Venosa.
There are numerous possible naturalistic excursions due to
the presence of Monte Vúlture and the close vicinity
of many Medieval centres such as Rapolla and Ginestra.
Place of interest
The Mother Church of S. Maria del Sepolcro (1560); San Donato
Church (XIV century); Franciscan Monastery (1300); San Giuseppe
Church (XVII century); Ruins of the Roman Aqueduct; Excursions
to Monte Vúlture; San Michele of Monticchio Abbey;
Monticchio Lakes; A visit to Melfi, Barile, Ginestra, Monticchio
Feast of San Donato on 7th August; Feast of San Rocco on
18th August; Feast of the Madonna of Carmine on 14th September.