SAN CHIRICO RAPARO
One will come across San Chirico Raparo
positioned on a spur dominating the Racanello Torrent, being
an affluent of the River Sinni. It is an ancient centre, which
some say was built on the ruins of ancient Polisantria.
Its name derives from San Quirico of Konya, who was was martyred
under Emperor Diocleziano and very much venerated by the Basilian
Monks arriving in the territory from Basilicata during the
VIII and IX centuries.
There are two possible origins for San Chirico: its birth
came about from the ruins of Polisantria or as result of the
foundation of the S. Angelo Abbey on Monte Raparo.
During the Norman and Swabian periods it belonged to the Earldom
of Balvano and then to that of Chiaromonte.
It was a fief of the following families: Sanseverino, Carafa,
Spinelli and in 1635, it became the property of the Pignatelli
The village participated in the Liberal Motions of 1799 and
Renaissance ones of 1848
A visit to the City
In San Chirico Raparo, which is also an esteemed holiday
centre, one can visit the SS Pietro and Paolo Parish Church
which preserves a polyptych from 1531 in its interior and
a wooden crucifix from the '300s. The building dates back
to the '700s but was constructed on the remains of a VI century
church. Nearby, one will find the Castle ruins.
The Sant'Antonio Natività Church and Chapel complete
the visit to religious buildings in San Chirico Raparo.
There are numerous possible excursions in the territory surrounding
the village, beginning with the remains of ancient Polisandria
in the Noceto locality. This is the area from which finds
have been taken and exhibited in Palazzo Simonetti.
Not too far from San Chirico, one can also visit the S. Angelo
Abbey which was founded during the X century by San Vitale.
For nature lovers: a visit to some mineral water springs,
woods and forests and the neighbouring Pollino Park.
Place of interest
The SS Pietro and Paolo Church (XVIII century); Natività
Church; S. Antonio Chapel; S. Vito Tower; Palazzo Simonetti;
San Angelo Abbey; Excursions to Monte Raparo; Trigello Spring;
Cortignano and Santa Quaranta Springs; Titolo Woods; Fieghi
Cerreto Forest; National Park and Val d'Agri Lagonegrese.
Palazzo Simonetti; Pottery Collection (IV-III century AD)
and ancient coins.
Procession on Good Friday, Easter; Feast of San Chirico
and Santa Sinforosa on 15th and 18th July; Feast of the Madonna
dell'Assunta on 15th August; Feast of the Madonna del Carmine
the second Sunday of September; Festival of the Ruscella (Stream)
on 27th December.