A few kilometres from Policoro, along the Jonic Coast of
the Gulf of Taranto is where one will find Scanzano
The habitation came about during the Medieval era when a
rural home was formed under the administration of Basilian
Monks from Sant'Elia of Carbone.
It was a fief of Duke Ruggiero of Pomereda under the Normans
(1095) and in 1100 it passed over to his son Riccardo Siniscalco.
During 1125, Boemondo, Robert Guiscard's son, gifted the village
to the Carbone Abbey, which kept the administration of Scanzano
until the descent of the Angioiniansans in Italy (1266).
Scanzano was the property of the Sanseverino family for a
long while and in 1430 was entrusted by Queen Giovanna I of
Naples to her son Antonio. During the XV and XVI centuries,
Scanzano became from time to time royal property and the property
of the powerful Sanseverino family.
In 1741 it became the property of Mattia Alessandro Mirabile
of Aragona and later of the Marquis Donnaperna of Colobraro,
who kept it until the beginning of the XIX century.
In 1816 Scanzano was bought by Baron Gennaro Ferrara.
A visit to the City
In the centre one can visit the Assunta Church which preserves
wooden sculptures from the XVII century in its interior and
a silver crown from a statue of the Madonna.
The civil architecture is represented by the Palazzaccio,
a baronial building which was constructed on the wishes of
Pedro de Toledo during the XVIII century.
Along the coast one can admire the remains of the lookout
tower built to counteract Turkish raids (XVI century).
In the surrounding area of Scanzano, it is possible to visit
the Termitito Archaeological Park, which is an ancient centre
founded during the XIII century by the mythical hero Epeo,
who built the Trojan horse. The centre was then Greek, Roman
Scanzano is also a seaside holiday centre esteemed for the
beauty of its beaches and the crystalline waters of the Jonic
Place of interest
The Assunta Church; Palazzaccio (XVIII century); Aragonese
Tower; Terzo Madonna Tower; S. Giuseppe Church in the Recoleta
locality; SS Medici Church in the Parisi locality; Masseria
Recoleta; Termitito Archaeological Park (XIII century BC).
The Termitito Archaeological Park (XIII century BC).
Feast of S. Maria Annunziata on 24th, 25th and 26th March.