In the northern part of Calabria, not too distant from the
Pollino National Park is where one will find
Belvedere Marittimo, a Medieval centre with
a beautiful view overlooking the coast and the Tyrrhenian
For a long while, Belvedere's origins were connected to the
city of Blanda, as cited by Plinio and now identified with
more northern Tortora.
The present day centre came about during the High Medieval
period, the era of Saracen raids (IX-X century) which pushed
the inhabitants from the coast to regather on the rocks and
surrounding hills and causing the construction of fortified
It returned under possession of the Eastern Roman Empire (X
century). Belvedere was conquered the following century by
the Norman Ruggero (1060), who had the Castle built.
San Daniele was born in Belvedere and was martyred in Ceuta
on 13th October 1227.
During the Sicilian Vespri wars between the French and the
Spanish, the latter besieged the fortified centre of Belvedere
under the command of Giacomo of Aragona (1289), but the noble
Ruggero Sangineto managed to resist attack and defend the
The following families followed the Sangineto family in the
administration of power in Belvedere Marittimo: Sanseverino,
Orsini-Del Balzo, Citrario and once more the Sanseverino family
(1426), who lost the village due to their participation in
the so called Conspiracy of Barons against the Crown (1486).
The Aragonese wanted to restore the Castle to better accommodate
new weapons, but they did this at the expense of the citizens
The following century, Belvedere also gave its contribution
to the favourable outcome of the Battle of Lepanto against
Turkish Naval Vessels (7 October 1571).
In 1622 Filippo III assigned the fief to Tiberio Carafa, whose
family governed Belvedere until the end of feudalism, which
was decided by Giuseppe Bonaparte (1806). The French, whose
arrival in Calabria was received with hostility from the population
faithful to the Bourbons, besieged and plundered many cities,
among which Belvedere Marittimo.
After the end of the Bonaparte administration, the village
returned to the hands of the Carafa family until 1830.
A visit to the City
Belvedere is divided into two fractions: the more ancient
one with its Medieval town-planning positioned on the rocks
and the modern one with its touristic vocation spread out
along the marine area.
Not much remains of the Medieval town-walls and the 4 portals
which opened up along it.
The Norman Castle, re-constructed by the Aragonese (1490),
dominates from the rocks and can, in part, be visited today.
Among the churches we would like to mention: the S. Maria
del Popolo and the Crocifisso Church with precious works of
art in its interior. The Rosario Church has a portal pertaining
to another church dating back to 1091.
The Belvedere Marine is equipped to receive tourists.
Place of interest
- Castello Normanno
- Chiesa di S. Maria del Popolo
- Chiesa dei Cappuccini (1595)
- Convento dei Cappuccini
- Chiesa del Rosario
- Chiesa di S. Agostino
- Chiesa del Crocifisso
- Chiesa di SS. Maria delle Grazie
- Porta di mare
- Porta degli orti
- Porta della piazza
- Porta del fosso
- Casa Natale di S. Daniele
- Ruderi della cinta muraria medievale
- Nessun Museo segnalato
- The Procession of Baby Jesus on 6th January;
- Fair and procession of Saint Antonio Abate on 17th January;
- Fair of SS. Annunziata on 25th March;
- Procession of S. Vincenzo Ferreri on 5th April;
- SS. Crocifisso on 3rd May and 14th September;
- Procession of the Madonna of SS Rosario on the first Sunday
- Procession of the Statue of the Sacred Hearth of Jesus in
- Procession of Corpus Domini on the 9th Sunday of Easter;
- Feast of the Madonna delle Grazie on 2nd and 31st July;
- Fair and procession of Saint Daniele Fasanella of Belveder
on 13th and 20th October;
- Procession of S. Cecilia martyr on 22nd November;
- Procession of S. Lucia martyr on 13th December;
- Procession of Good Friday.