Luzzi is a centre situated in Northern Calabria,
facing a panoramic position along the right
slope of the Crati Valley.
Some identify the Luzzi centre with ancient Tebe Lucana
which was built in the IV century BC, in the ambit of the
wars between the Magno-Greek cities and the Lucani.
During Roman times, a centre however had to exist, as attested
by tomb finds with funerary treasures, which can now be found
in the Sibari Museum.
The present day centre, which probably came about during the
High Medieval period, was conquered by the Normans and Matteo
Guiscard (mid XI century), who gave it in fief to the Lucij
family. The latter ruled for so many centuries, that the name
of the village was identified with the family. It was only
during the XVII century that it was yielded to the Firrao
family, who ruled Luzzi until the subversion of feudalism
on the wishes of the French (1806).
A visit to the City
The architectonic patrimony of Luzzi is expressed in its
churches. In the Sant'Angelo Church, with its Medieval bell
tower and which preserves a canvas depicting S. Maria delle
Grazie; the S. Giuseppe Church, which hosts a tombstone dating
back to the first centuries of Christianity; one can admire
a wooden crucifix from the '600s in the Immacolata Church.
Not far from the centre, one can visit the Sambucina Abbey,
founded during the XII century by the Benedictines and shortly
after, passed to the Cistercians (Trappist religion), which
soon became one of the cultural and economic centres of the
Place of interest
- Chiesa di Sant'Angelo
- Chiesa di San Giuseppe
- Chiesa dell'Immacolata
- Chiesa della Madonna della Sanità
- Chiesa di Santa Maria
- Chiesa di San Francesco di Paola
- Chiesa di Sant'Antonio
- Palazzo Vivacqua
- Monumento alla Madonna dell'Incoronata
- Necropoli Romana in contrada San Vito (I-II sec. d.C.)
- Abbazia Cistercense di Santa Maria della Sambucina.
- Nessun Museo segnalato
- Festa dell'Immacolata il 12 febbraio
- Festa di San Francesco il 2 aprile
- Festa della Madonna delle Grazie l'ultima domenica di luglio
- Festa di Sant'Aurelia la1° domenica di settembre
- Estate luzzese: concerti, sagre, tornei di calcetto, mostre
di pittura, spettacoli teatrali
- Sagra della Castagna in dicembre
- Sagra della "pittuliddra" in dicembre.