Where the isthmus Calabro divides the two
gulfs of Squillace and S. Eufemia, is where one will find
Máida facing the Cottola stream on
the flat lands of Lamezia Terme.
Legend identifies it with ancient Melanio, a city which was
founded by the Enotrians and their King Italo.
And others believe it to be Maghyda, a Byzantine fortress
(VII century AD) which was cited in some Greek documents.
And again others assert that it came about due to the migration
of coastal inhabitants due to Saracen raids (IX century).
Tomb slabs have been found dating back to the Iron Age, which
favour the legendary hypothesis, though to be verified.
Documented historical news, regarding the village, date back
to the XI century and record a Saracen attack by Emir Akai
of Castro Maidano (1020). The fact that it was already an
important fortress, credits the Byzantine origins (VII century).
The Normans obtained it during July 1057 by negotiating an
agreement with its inhabitants and subsequently had the Castle
The fortress was then amplified by the Swabian, Frederick
II (XIII century), heavily re-adjusted during the XVI and
XVII centuries and destroyed by an earthquake in 1783.
On 16th July 1806, the Maida territory was stage of a battle
between the French and English, favouring the latter as victors.
The citizens then participated in the Risorgimento movements.
A visit to the City
Maida is dominated by the Norman Castle remains, which were
destroyed by an earthquake in 1783.
One should visit the S. Nicola of Latinis Parochial and the
S. Domenico Congregation Oratory.
Maida’s position on the Isthmus Calabro, allows visits
to both the Tyrrhenian and Ionian coasts.
Place of interest
- Parrocchiale di S. Nicola di Latinis
- Resti del Castello Normanno
- Oratorio della Congregazione di S. Domenico
- Visita di Vena di Maida
- Visita di Lamezia Terme
- Visita di Squillace
- Nessun Museo segnalato
- Festa Patronale di S. Francesco di Paola il 2 aprile