Facing the Jonic coasts, on the northern stratums of the
Sila is where one will come across Rossano,
one of the major Byzantine centres of Calabria.
The foundation of Rossano has been attributed to the Enotrian
population who were active between the XI and VIII centuries
In the Magno-Greek era (VIII-V century BC), it was a Thurii
port, known as Ruskia or Ruskiané, a name which changed
during the Roman era to Roscianum, by which it appeared in
the Antonino Itinerary.
During the Greek-Gothic War (535-553), it was occupied by
Totila, King of the Ostrogoths (548). After the conflict,
it entered as part of the possessions of the Eastern Roman
Empire, which rendered Rossano a bastion in defence of their
territory. Under the Byzantines, Rossano became an Episcopal
seat and Capital of the Eastern Empire in southern Italy;
leading to the deserved name of Ravenna of the South.
During these centuries, Rossano was the object of desire of
the Longobards and Saracens, but was never stormed.
There are numerous and important religious personalities who
animated Rossano during these centuries through the foundation
of Basilian monasteries.
One of them was San Nilo (910-1004), to which they dedicated
a church in the City.
The famous Codex Purpureus Rossanensis also dates back to
this period, namely an Evangeliary written in Greek on parchment
The Normans (1059) interrupted this long domination and were
followed by the Swabians (1196-1269), who gave Rossano the
title of Royal City.
The Angioinians conquered it in 1269 and decided to construct
Over the centuries Rossano was fief of the following families:
Marzano, Sforza, Aldobrandini and the Borghese until the events
linked to the Neapolitan Republic, which led to the elimination
of feudalism (1806), making Rossano once again a Royal City.
An earthquake in 1836 seriously damaged the City and its monuments.
A visit to the City
The architectonic wealth is noteworthy in Rossano. For this
reason, it is definitely one of the main centres of Calabria.
Numerous churches stand out, beginning with the Maria Santissima
Achiropita Cathedral which still preserves Norman, Swabian
and Angioinian elements and a Byzantine fresco (VIII century)
depicting the Madonna, venerated by the population.
One can visit the San Marco Oratory (X century) in the Greek
district. It is a Byzantine jewel with a quadrangular Greek
cross building plan.
Another Byzantine construction is the Madonna del Pilerio
Church (X century) which is situated adjacent to Porta Rupa
and the Panaghia Church (X century), positioned near to the
The S. Bernardino Church is also noteworthy (1428-1462), which
was the first building of Latin ritual, constructed in Rossano
and the San Nilo Church (1620) of a Baroque building plan.
Place of interest
- Cattedrale Maria Santissima Achiropita (XIII sec.)
- Chiesa di San Marco (X sec.)
- Chiesa della Panaghia (XII sec.)
- Chiesa di San Bernardino (1428-60)
- Chiesa bizantina di S. Maria del Pilerio
- Chiesa di Santa Maria del Patire
- Oratorio di S. Marco (IX-X sec.)
- Chiesa di San Nilo
- Chiesa di San Francesco di Paola (XVI sec.)
- Chiesa di Santa Chiara (XVI sec.)
- Torre Stellata (XVI sec.)
- Palazzo De Rosis
- Torre dell'Orologio
- Passeggiata di Santo Stefano
- Parco Nazionale della Sila
- Visita di Acri
- Visita di Bisignano
- Visita di Corigliano
- Musei Diocesano
- Museo Urbano a Cielo Aperto
- Museo della Liquirizia Giorgio Amarelli
- Fiera di S. Angelo l'ultima domenica di maggio
- Estate Rossanese in luglio ed agosto
- Festa di Ferragosto o dell'Achiropita con fuochi d'artificio
- Festa Maria Stella del Mare in estate
- Sagra delle Noci in estate
- Sagra della Sardella in estate
- Sagra dell'Anguria in estate
- Sagra della Melanzana in estate
- Sagra delle clementine in autunno
- Sagra de Le 4 Fiumare in autunno
- Sagra della fresina conzata in estate
- Fiera di Santa Maria delle Grazie l'8 e il 9 settembre
- Stagione Teatrale di Prosa (ottobre-maggio)
- Fiera di S. Angelo la prima di dicembre