Situated on the southern slopes of the Sila Piccola,
is where one will come across Taverna, in
a panoramic position overlooking the Valle dell'Alli.
Its name derives from Latin Taberna, with reference to its
function as a rest stop along Via Romana, which ascended from
the coast to Sila.
The centre was destroyed by the Saracens (IX century) and
reconstructed not too far away. It acquired importance by
becoming an episcopal seat, which was later transferred to
Catanzaro on the wishes of Pope Callisto II (1122).
During 1160, it became a refuge for some conspirators, and
for this reason was besieged and destroyed by the Norman troops
of King Guglielmo. A Castle already existed during that era,
but was destroyed during the siege.
Taverna was once again reconstructed and fortified, then passed
hands to the Swabians (1194), the Angioinians (1269) and the
Aragonese (1443). Due to the revolt of Antonio Centelles against
King Alfonso d'Aragona, it was once more besieged and suffered
the Castle's destruction.
Beginning in the 16th century, and for the whole of the 17th
century, Taverna enjoyed a period of development with help
from an illuminated aristocratic government. The arts were
developed and new churches built.
In the 17th century, it became the birthplace of Mattia Preti
(1613-99), one of the main artists of his century.
In the '700s, the aristocratic government opened up to the
participation of the poorer social classes, which was something
rare in the South.
An earthquake in 1783 destroyed a large part of the suburb,
bringing its economy to its knees.
In the '800s, its inhabitants actively participated in the
Carbonari actions of 1821, and the Risorgimental ones of 1848.
Following the Unity of Italy, which was not welcomed by the
majority of its inhabitants, Taverna was assaulted by Brigands.
A visit to the City
A visit to the centre of Taverna is accompanied by figure
of Mattia Preti and his works. There is a Fountain dedicated
to Preti along the street, also dedicated to him, which converses
with the Mattia Preti Monument in the adjacent Giuseppe Poerio
In the ex Dominican Convent, today the seat of the Civic Museum,
one can visit the contemporary works of arts exhibited there
and canvases of Mattia and Gregorio Preti, brother to Mattia.
The San Domenico Church lies adjacent to the Convent and was
rebuilt in Baroque form following the 1662 earthquake. It
once accommodated Preti altars which were stolen on the night
of 26th February 1970.
The small Santa Barbara Church, with its single nave, houses
noteworthy canvases in its interior of Gregorio and Mattia
Preti, amongst which we'd like to point out the Presentazione
al Tempio (Temple Presentation). The San Silvestro Church
is located nearby, and not too far outside the centre one
will come across the San Martino Church, where Mattia Preti
It's also worth visiting the S. Maria Maggiore Church, the
oldest in Taverna, and the S. Maria del Soccorso Church.
Not too distant from the centre, one can visit the remains
of Taverna Vecchia (Old Taverna - X century), which was abandoned
by its inhabitants during the '400s.
Place of interest
- Chiesa di Santa Barbara (1427)
- Chiesa di San Domenico
- Chiesa di San Silvestro
- Chiesa di Santa Maria Maggiore (metà del XV sec.)
- Chiesa di San Martino (metà del XV sec.)
- Chiesa di Santa Maria del Soccorso
- Chiesa di San Nicola (metà del XV sec.)
- Chiesa di Santa Caterina (metà del XV sec.)
- Monumento a Mattia Preti
- Fontana Mattia Preti
- Resti della Cinta Muraria
- Resti della Torre di Guardia (1428-1431)
- Resti di Taverna Vecchia
- Parco Nazionale della Sila
- Visita di Albi
- Visita di Zagarise
- Visita di Tiriolo
- Visita di Simeri Crichi
- Visita di Cropani
- Visita di Mesoraca
- Visita di Petilia Policastro
- Visita di Catanzaro
- Museo Civico, ex Convento dei Domenicani
- M.A.C.A.T Museo d'Arte Contemporanea all'Aperto
- Nessun Evento segnalato