Tiriolo dominates the territory from a peak
which separates the Lamato Valleys from the Corace, not too
distant from Catanzaro and the Small Sila Park.
Finds from digs, dating back to the Neolithic era, were
uncovered in grottoes scattered over the territory and in
the Sovarico Valley. Relics dating back to the Bronze and
Iron Era have emerged instead more downstream and refer to
a centre which was already socially developed.
The centre was then Hellenised by the Magno-Greek colonies
which had arrived on the coasts of Calabria during the VIII
and VII centuries BC, probably taking on the name of Trioros.
The scenery changed suddenly with the ascension to power of
the Bruzi (IV century BC), who conquered a large part of Calabria
and became proud adversaries of both the Greeks and Romans.
It was conquered permanently by the Romans at the end of the
Second Punic Wall and appeared on the bronze tablet of Senatusconsultum
de Bacchanalibus (186 BC) by the name of Ager Teuranus.
Remains of villas from the Roman era, have been uncovered
in the Santu Janni locality.
After the dark period of Barbaric invasions (V century) and
the Ostrogoth Reign (496-535), Tiriolo reappeared in history
as a fortified centre (IX century AD) and was the subject
of attacks from bands of Saracen, who eventually managed to
besiege it led by the mercenary leader Sabir (929-930).
It was then conquered by the Normans (XI century) who had
the Rocca Falluca Castle built then assigned Tiriolo to Guglielmo
The decline of the Angioinians, who eliminated the Swabian
lineage (1194-1266), took the suburb firstly to Drivone de
Regibayo, then in 1271 to Goffredo Bovet and finally in 1273,
as part of the Royal Estate.
Midway through the '300s, Tiriolo passed hands to the Ruffo
family, already marquises of Crotone and counts of Catanzaro,
who administered it until midway through the '400s when Antonio
Centelles, husband of Marchioness Enrichetta Ruffo, rebelled
against King Alfonso V of Aragona, therefore losing all his
assets, including Tiriolo, which then became part of the Royal
The king's son, ascended to the throne by the name of Ferdinando
I in 1458 and sold Tiriolo to the Carafa family (1481), who
remained in power until 1610, the year in which Francesco
Maria Carafa sold Tiriolo to the Count of Messina, Carlo Cigala-Doria.
The new nobility encouraged commerce by moving trade from
Sicily to Calabria and allowing Tiriolo to experience a period
of development, confirming an architectonic rebirth.
However, events of the plague and seismic tremors, were set
against this. The earthquake of 29th March 1783 was terrible
and devastated part of the village.
Vincenzo De Filippis was born in Tiriolo. He was a mathematician
who adhered to Republican ideals in 1799, paying for this
with his life (28th November 1799).
The centre adhered to Unitarian Motions to such an extent
as to give hospitality to Garibaldi and his troops on 28th
and 29th August 1860.
A visit to the City
Tiriolo is a centre that offers panoramic views which embrace
both the Tyrrhenian and Jonio Seas.
Tourists can visit the Medieval Castle remains and the pre-Roman
fortifications, as well as some churches, amongst which the
Madonna delle Grazie with its Baroque altar in its interior.
The patrimony of objects kept in the Antiquarium is considerable.
It covers the historical period from Neolithic to Medieval,
hosting a collection of Bretti finds (IV century BC), which
testify to a vast prosperity in Tiriolo during the pre-Roman
Place of interest
- Castello Normanno (XI-XII sec.)
- Chiesa della Madonna delle Grazie
- Chiesa dello Spirito Santo (XVII sec.)
- Palazzo Schettini (XVI sec.)
- Resti di Fortificazioni Romane e Medievali
- Antiquarium Comunale in via Pitagora
- A pigghiata il Venerdì Santo:
- Estate di Tiriolo: spettacoli teatrali e mostre
- Sagra del pollo alla diavola in agosto
- Sagra do Cuddrurieddru in agosto
- Sagra dell'olio d'oliva in novembre