connected to Rome
through one of the main arteries of the Empire, the Flaminia
way, Fano were founded by Umbri and known
by the Romans with the name of Fanum Fortunae, for
the presence of a temple dedicated to the goddess Fortune
(207 a.C.) erected in commemoration of the
battle of the Metauro in which Asdrubale, brother of Hannibal,
lost the life and was defeated by the Romans.
The construction of the way Flaminia (220 a.C.) carried wealth
and splendour to the city of Fano culminated in the imperial
period that in fact has left several evicences in the city.
Destroyed by Goths in 538 d.C.
and rebuilt by the Byzantin army commanded by Belisario it
was subsequently conquered by Longobards
and therefore by Charlemagne. Annexed to
the Church in X century in obedience to Emperor
Ottone III' wishes, became Comune
in '200 and it knew the lordship of Estensi of Ferrara, the
fight for the power between the Del Cassero and the Da Carignano
families, the long lordship of the Malatesta
of Rimini interrupted in 1463 from the besiege
of the duke of Urbino Federico di Montefeltro
recruited by the Pope.
Architectonic and historical symbol of Fano is the Arch
of Augusto, very well conserved and miraculously
escaped to the bombings that the city suffered during the
Second World war. The Arch was erected in 9 d.C in the point
in which the way Flaminia it enters in the city becoming its
decumanus maximum. Moreover of the roman period remain
remarkable extensions of original walls wanted by Augusto
to defende the city.
Other cultural goals are the Rocca Malatestiana,
offended by the bombings during the war, Porta della
Mandria that opens along the Roman walls.