is located not faraway from Loreto
and from Recanati between
the valleys of the torrents Fiumicello and Menocchia.
The village rose on the ruins of the Rroman city of Veragra
destroyed by the Visigoth of Alarico in 400 AD
together with Helvia Recina and Urbisaglia. The fugitive inhabitants
went towards Monte Fano and founded the present village.
In the XI century the village was subjugated to the city of
imposed to them taxes and used it like defensive element in
fact date back to this period the fortifications of Montefano.
The dominion of Osimo ended only in 1489
thanks to Pope Innocenzo VIII that granted the municipal independence.
It remained then for a long time under the infuence of the
Papal State until the moment of the unification
of Italy (1860).
The monuments of historical and artistic interest of Montefano
are the baroque Collegiata di San Donato
(XII-XIII then reconstructed in the XVI cent.), the churches
of Saint Mary (XVI cent.) and Saint Filippo Benizi, the Municipal
Palace that includes the municipal Theatre “La
rondinella” (XVIII cent.).
Along its medieval walls is possible to admire
a quadrangular tower from where it can be
enjoyed a panoramic view.