rises on one hill of the Tenna valley near Ascoli
Piceno and owns a dominant position on the surrounding
territory, encircled by the Adriatic sea
to the east and by the Sibillini Mounts to
In spite of the presence on the territory of populations already
from the prehistoric age and the Picen age, Montegiorgio appears
in the history in 1000 in some documents
that record the presence of some Benedictines monks
coming from the powerful Abbey of Farfa in locality “Mons
Sanctae Marie in Georgio”.
In 1099 were constructed the walls that still
encircle the village and Montegiorgio became free Comune (Municipality)
with a strong connection with the city of Fermo.
Towards the half of the '200 Franciscans and Agostinians also
arrived and erected theirs churches. In 1400 the S.Chiara's
monastery was constructed also.
Subsequently the village knew the lordship of Visconti,
clashing with the Pope, Sforza (1434) in
order to return then under the papal infuence with the Rovere
In 1528 Montegiorgio it endured the invasion
of bands of mercenaries returning from the Rome's sack who
plundered the village burning beyond 200 houses.
In 1637 it was erected the S.Andrea's Monastery for the Franciscan
nuns and in 1726 the convent of the Suore Terziarie di Sant'Agostino.
At the end of the '700 Montegiorgio was shocked by the arrival
of the Napoleonic troops that, diffusing
the ideals of the Republic, did not forget to make raid of
the Italian artistic patrimony and Montegiorgio did not make
Returned under the infuence of the Church,
Montegiorgio remained until its unification to the Reign
of Italy (1860).
Montegiorgio can be approached through one of its three
doors. Once arrived in the main public square, Piazza
Matteotti, it's possible to admire Palazzo Passari.
Nearby the public square there's the Church of S.Chiara,
with beautiful external stairs, and the Theatre (1878).
Going down towards Sant'Andrea Door there's the Church
of San Francesco and the beautiful Church
of San Giacomo (XIV sec.).
Almost from every part of the village panoramic views
on the surrounding valley can be enjoyed by the visitor of