SAN SEVERINO MARCHE
Even if the territory was
inhabited since the the prehistoric age, San Severino
Marche was founded around the VII or VI century b.C
by Picens, as demonstrated through the recovery
of three cemeteries in the vicinities of the village.
to the memories of the ancient Roman historians instead, the
first village was a colony founded by Sicilians
with the name of Septempeda. In any case
the lived one passed to Rome
with the Sannitic wars and the defeat of the Italic people
(III cent. a.C.) and became municipium increasing
The end of the Roman Empire marked the beginning
of the invasions of populations of Barbarians who plundered
the ancient Septempeda and induced the fugitive inhabitants
to found S.Severino Marche on the top of the Monte Nero (Black
Mount - VI cent. a.D.).
The present village made before part of the Reign
of the Ostrogoths and the Byzantin Empire
after the Greek-Gothic war who sanctioned the end of the presence
of the Goths on the Italian territory.
It was then annexed to the Longobard Reign
and therefore it returned to the Church after
the invasion of Italy made by Franks commanded by Pipin
the Short (752) and its son Charles the Great
The Middle Ages saw the free Comune
(Municipality) of S.Severino Marches side on the Ghibelline
part, but the outcome of the conflict between Empire and Church
brought to the power the Guelph family of Smeducci
before and Sforza (1433-1445) then. The centuries
XIV, XV and XVI will be remembered as those of maximum artistic
and trading flourishing of Saint Severino Marche.
The city therefore returned for centuries under the direct
control of the Pope, excluding the short
Napoleonica paus, until its annexation to the Reign
of Italy (1860).
Architectonic symbol of the city is Piazza del Popolo
(People's Square), once stretch of the road bordering the
medieval village and then increased and embellished with the
construction of Nobles palaces and porticos.
Worthy of doing a walk in the so-called “Castle”,
first medieval nucleus of the city, reachable through two
doors opened along them medieval walls. It keeps the two towers
of S.Severino: the Ghibelline bell tower
and the bell tower of the old Chatedral (X