Founded by Romans around the
380 a.C., derives its name from the
goddess Trea-Jana, divinity of Greek-sicilian origin
that here was venerated.
Situated on a secundary street of
the Flaminia Way, Treia knew a period of
remarkable development during the Republic and the Roman Empire
becoming municipium in 99 b.C.
end of the Empire marked also the end of Roman Treia: plundered
and destroyed by Goths with the population taking refuge on
the three near hills, first nuclea of the modern Treia.
In the X century the three castles on the three hills united
themselves and the locality took the name of Montecchio,
under the directed infuence of the Pope. Becouse of this the
city was besieged by the imperial troops of Federico II of
Svevia in 1239.
It knew then the lordship of Da Varano and Sforza, passing
in 1447 under the Aragon.
Returned to the church, in 1790 Pio VI gave
to it the title of city restoring the ancient name of Treia.
In 1798 it made part of the Roman Republic
wanted by Napoleone Bonaparte in order to
return then to the Church until its unification
to the Reign of Italy.
Treia is a medieval village perfectly conserved
that leaves the visitor suggestions through its panoramic
stoned alleys and panoramic views.
In Treia can be visited the Roman ruins in
locality SS. Crocifisso, where also rises
the omonimous church that keeps to its inside a curious crucifix,
perhaps by Donatello, in which the Christ
assumes various expressions depending on the observation point.
Treia is dipped in a involving nature that must be discovered
following the routes that include ancient villas and ruins
like the Roccaccia, tower of guard of Middle
Ages or the hermitage of S. Sperandia.