di Arte Moderna e Contemporanea (Communal Gallery of Modern
and Contemporary Art):
was opened in 2003 and contains exhibitions of contemporary
works; the permanent Gallery section is in a phase of completion
and houses works beginning from the production of Italian
art during the period between the two wars and leading up
to that of contemporary works.
Museo Diocesano (Diocesan Museum):
this museum can be found behind the Cathedral at N°13
in the small Square. It contains precious works coming from
the Cathedral and other churches of the City and Province:
wooden crosses from the 13th Century, relics and pictorial
works from the 13th to the 16th Century.
Casa di Giorgio Vasari (House of Giorgio Vasari):
is located on Via XX Settembre at N°55. This is the house
the artist acquired in 1540 and which today houses the Vasariano
Archive Museum. It’s an example of a residence in the
mannerist style and its interior maintains an unaltered installation
and original furnishings.
Museo Statale d’Arte Medievale e Moderna (State
Museum of Medieval and Modern Art):
can be found in Palazzo Bruni Ciocchi at N°8 Via San Laurentino.
The building has Renaissance origins, dating back to 1445.
Its construction was commissioned by the Bruni family. It
then passed hands to the Ciocchi di Monte San Savino and subsequently
continually tampered with over the centuries. Here, from 1816,
the customs and the State Monopoly were housed. After the
last war it was restored and turned into a museum. The collection
is a fusion of the Communal Art Gallery, the Museum of Brotherhood
(Fraternity) and numerous donations from private collections.
In particular, it contains Tuscan paintings from between the
13th and 14th Centuries and is one of the main Italian collections
Museo Archeologico Nazionale “Gaio Clinio Mecenate”
(National Archealogical Museum):
is situated in the ex monastery of San Bernardo, to the right
of the old Roman amphitheatre. The seat dates back to 1333
and was commissioned by Bernardo dè Tolomei, founder
of the Benedettini Olivetani, but was finally completed in
the 17th Century. In the 18th Century, during the Napoleonic
period, it was utilized by the military and then gravely damaged
during the course of the World War II. The complex therefore
has a Gothic installation and a 17th Century prospect of double
loggias. From 1937, an archaeological collection has been
housed here, dedicated to a personality from Roma Augustea,
but with Aretina origins. The scientific rearrangement and
expositive was begun in 1986. The collections offer a vast
documentation of Aretina culture during the pre-historical,
Etruscan – without doubt the most notable section –
and Roman eras.