It rises along the Tiber's
valley to the confluence between the Reggia and the main river
of Italy, to half road between Perugia and Città di
Castello in those drawn nicknamed “Museum Valley”.
Its name derivesby Uberto, king of Italy of the X sec. who
gave it the name Fracta filiorum Uberti. However the origin
is antecedent: Etruscan or Umbra. Pitulum
moreover, was a roman center that rose exactly where today
The citizen becomes a precious stage of a travel in Umbria
thanks to the wonderful Benedictine abbey built in 1008 by
San Romualdo: the Abbey of Montecorona. It
remains of the original building the cripta with 5 naves and
5 roman columns to testify the existence of a more ancient
The center of Umbertide instead offers a visit to the Rocca,
square tower dating back to the XIV cent. and the churches
of S.Maria of the Reggia and Santa Croce, seat of the civic
museum hosting the work "Deposizione dalla Croce"
by Signorelli. Not far from here there're the churches of
S. Francesco (XIV cent.) and S. Bernardino ('500).