Museo del Merletto:
is located in Piazza Baldassarre Galoppi and by its ample
dimensions is distinguished from all other small squares present
on the island.
It faces two elegant Gothic buildings: one was the seat of
the Podestà and now the Communal seat, whilst the other
hosts the Scuola dei Merletti (Merletti School) and the Merletti
Museum, where visible testimonies of this type of art can
be found and which gave worldwide fame to the artisan sector
of the island. The activity of Merletto, taken as true and
proper art, began in principle in the 16th Century. The school
of Merletto was then instituted in 1782. The historical material
of the Museum has seen a new way of cataloguing beginning
in 1995 and in the same period restoration work began on the
older Merletti works. The pieces exhibited are of immense
historical-artistic value and the documentation is also enriched
with designs, photos and iconic testimonies.
“Museo dell’Arte Vetraria” (Museum of Glass
is located in a late 17th Century building, constructed on
the wishes of Bishop Marco Giustinian.
The Museum of Glass Art has been housed here since 1861 –
today known as the Glass Museum – which has a collection
which is testimony to the evolution and richness of artwork
on glass. The layout dates back to 1979 following a strong
campaign of restoration work on the building. The collection
exhibited is of very high quality and also contains extremely
rare pieces. The order of works exhibited is set out on two
main floors in the building and is in chronological order
beginning with archaeological glasswork from the II century
BC and ending up with the production of works in the 20th
Century which have been produced by some of the most renowned
international artists of the 20thCentury.
Museo di Torcello:
is located in the Archive and Council buildings, dating back
to the 14th Century and decorated with elegant windows in
Gothic Venetian style.
The museum was already instituted in 1870 and was named “Museum
of the Estuary.” It collects archaeological reliefs
from the lagoon area and various finds from digs carried out
on the island. It’s divided mainly into two sections:
the first is practically archaeological and is seated in the
Archive building. The second covers the medieval to modern
eras and is housed in the adjacent Council building. In their
entirety, the sections cover the 6th Century BC to works coming
from the 15th Century.