On a morphologic structure of the Val D’Agri, is where
one will find Marsico Nuovo, offering noteworthy
panoramic views over the territory.
Its name derives from the Marsi, the first population to
settle in the territory around the IV century BC., founding
Abellinum Marsicum. Even though some people are inclined to
believe its name derived from the Latin term Mariscus, with
reference to the swamps which were once present around the
What is certain is that human settlements were already present
during the pre-Roman era. During the Roman Imperial period,
some villas were constructed on its territory and from 370
AD, Marsico Nuovo became an Episcopal sea under Bishop Sempronio
After the fall of Rome, it merged into the Ostrogoth Reign
(496-535) and after the Greek-Gothic war (535-553) became
part of the Eastern Roman Empire.
After being conquered by the Longobards (VI century) and the
arrival of the Normans (XI century), Marsico Nuovo was assigned
firstly to Rinaldo of Malconvenienza and then Count Silvestro.
The participation of the latter in the conspiracy against
Guglielmo I, made him lose the Lordship, which then passed
to Filippo Guarna.
Under the Swabians (1194), Marsico Nuovo was assigned to the
powerful Sanseverino family, who ruled it until 1552.
In 1638, it was the Pignatelli family who bought the fief
and had a villa built, which today carries their name, and
the Town Hall. Their family governed Marsico Nuovo until 1806,
the year of abolition of feudal right under the orders of
The village was seat of a Rivendita Carbonara (Smaller city
associations linked to the Carbonari movement which promoted
independent ideas) and actively participated in both the motions
of 1820-21 and the subsequent ones of (1860), which led Marsico
Nuovo to unification into the Reign of Italy (1861).
Seismic activity destroyed the ancient cathedral during 1857.
A visit to the City
Climbing up the hills of Marsico, one will see the Medieval
towers, which are part of Palazzo Autilio. One will then reach
the S. Michele Arcangelo Cathedral dating back to the XIII
century, then reconstructed during the XIX century. It was
once again gravely damaged during the 1980 earthquake. Adjacent
to the cathedral, one can visit the beautiful San Gianuario
Church. Both churches are embellished with Medieval doorways.
Not too far from Marsico Nuovo one can visit the Maria of
Constantinople Sanctuary, containing frescoes in its interior.
Place of interest
The S. Michele Arcangelo Cathedral (XIII century, reconstructed
during the XIX century); S. Gianuario Church (XI-XIII centuries);
S. M. Assunta or S. Giorgio Cathedral; S. Rocco Church; S.
Marco Church (XIII-XIV centuries); S. Maria del Ponte or Constantinople
Sanctuary (1593); S. Francesco Convent (1330); Palazzo Navarra;
Palazzo Barrese; Palazzo Montesano; Palazzo Ventre-Ragone;
Palazzo Manzoni (XII century); Masseria Castle; Palazzo Pignatelli;
Excursions to Piana del Lago and the Arioso Forest.