On a panoramic hill in Alto Brádano is where one will
find Oppido Lucano, a centre of ancient foundation
immersed amidst vineyards and olive groves.
Oppido’s territory was inhabited since Neolithic times
and during the Bronze Age, as demonstrated by finds on Mount
It was definitely a Lucani centre (VIII century BC), later
known by the Romans by the name of Opinum or Yipinum. Here
is where the Tabula Bantina was found, one of the main existing
documents written in the Osca language.
During the Roman Imperial Era, Oppido enjoyed some development
linked to its geographic position along the Via delle Puglie.
The Sant’Igino and Masseria Ciccotti sites are what
remain to testify this historical period.
After the fall of Rome, nothing else was heard about the ancient
centre until the Norman era.
The Normans erected the Castle and assigned the village to
the county of Balvano.
During the war between Giovanna I of Naples and Ludovico,
King of Hungary, the village paid by being plundered and set
alight (1348) by the King’s troops who gave their fidelity
to the Angioiniansans.
During the ‘400s, Oppido belonged to the Zurlo family.
At the beginning of the ‘500s it changed hands to the
Orsini who administered the fief until the initial years of
the ‘700s when Oppido was distrained to cover their
The De Marinis family took over and kept the village until
the end of feudalism (1806).
After unification into the Reign of Italy (1861), Oppido Lucano
changed name to Palmira (1863-1933).
A visit to the City
Not much remains from the original Castle.
In the City one can visit the SS Pietro and Paolo Parish Church
(XVII century) which preserves a painting depicting the Last
Supper (1606) in its interior, and the Annunziata Church.
Not too far from the centre, one can visit the Sant’Antonio
Church and Convent (XV century) with a canvas dating back
to the XVII century and a wooden Choir and the small Sant’Antuono
Rupestrian Church from the XIII century.
About 3km’s from Oppido, in a beautiful panoramic position,
is where one can also visit the Santa Maria of Belvedere Church,
containing a wooden statue from 1505 in its interior.
Place of interest
The Castle; San Pietro and Paolo Parish Church (XVII century);
Annunziata Church; Santa Maria of Belvedere Church; Sant’Antonio
Church; Sant’Antonio Convent (XV century); Sant’Antuono
Church (XIII century).
The Feast of Corpus Domini on 2nd June; Feast of Sant’Antonio
of Padua on 13th June; Feast of Assunta on 15th August.