Amendolara is situated in the northern part
of Calabria, not too far from the Jonic coast.
The presence of man on the territory is testified beginning
in the Neolithic period (6000-3.500 BC) and became more certain
during the Bronze Age (3500-1.200 BC), thanks to an Enotrian
settlement in the Rione Vecchio area.
As a result of the foundation of Sibari by the Achei (720
BC), the entire Jonic coast became quickly Hellenised and
the settlement transferred to the S. Nicola hills, thus acquiring
the name of Lagaria.
During the Roman era, there was a Stazione di posta (ancient
rest stop) called Statio ad Vicesimum. There are still some
of its ruins in the Masseria Lista area.
Its present day name seems to derive from the Latin Amygdalaria,
with reference to almond production. The name then mutated
to Lamendolara, Mendolara, Mendolaria and finally Amendolara.
After Roman domination and subsequent Barbaric invasions,
Amendolara merged into the western territories of the Eastern
Roman Empire. An abbey was constructed in the Greek rites
and a Castle (1000). The reinforcement of the Castle, founded
by the Longobards, coincided firstly, with the arrival of
the Normans (mid XI century) and then the Swabians (1194-1266).
Over the centuries it belonged to the following nobility:
Della Marra, Montatlto, Cognetta, Gambacorta, S. Felice, S.
Severino, Caraffa, Pignatelli of Cerchiara, Pignone, Castrocucco,
Loffredo, De Nobili, Pignatelli of Bello Sguardo and finally
the Gallerano family.
During the '600s and '700s, following the birth of powerful
new social ranks, some nobiliary palaces were constructed,
which today still embellish Amendolara.
Amendolara was the birthplace of the humanist Pomponio Leto
A visit to the City
The Santa Margherita Church is the main Romanesque monument
of Amendolara with 18th century adjustments. It preserves
a portal with an acute arch from the 14th Century and frescoes
from the XV century in its interior.
The S. Maria Church, which preserves a Byzantine dome-shaped
roof and apse and the Annunziata Church (IX-X century), also
with a Byzantine dome-shaped structure, are noteworthy.
Very little remains of the Castle, already a Longobard and
Norman fortress, which was restored by Frederick II in 1239.
The ruins of the wall and a furnace/kiln from the VI century
BC situated on the San Nicola hills, are what remain from
the distant past. The numerous finds discovered during digs
in the XIX century are exhibited in the Vincenzo Laviolo State
There are numerous churches and eremitic grottoes around and
in Amendolara, testifying to religious life during the High
Place of interest
- Chiesa Matrice di Santa Margherita Vergine e Martire
- Castello (restaurato nel 1239)
- Cappella dell'Annunziata o Cappella dei Greci, o Santa Maria
della Lista (IX-X sec.)
- Chiesa di San Giovanni o Chiesa Armena (X sec.)
- Chiesa di Santa Maria
- Palazzo Andreassi
- Palazzo Blefari
- Palazzo Pucci di Amendolara (1736)
- Palazzo Grisolia (1521)
- Chiesa di San Domenico (1660)
- Cappella di Sant'Antonio Abate (origine bizantina, rifatta
- Cappella di Santa Lucia (1960)
- Chiesa di San Giovanni
- Cappelle gentilizie di Sant'Anna e di San Rocco
- Museo archeologico statatale Vincenzo Laviola
- Area archeologica della città greco-arcaica di Lagaria
- Torre Spaccata (1517)
- Cappella della Madonna delle Grazie nel bosco di Straface
- Sorgente di Trastullo
- Visita di Roseto Capo Spulico
- Visita di Rocca Imperiale
- Visita di Canna
- Visita di Oriolo
- Visita di Policoro
- Visita di Rotondella
- Visita di Tursi
- Parco Nazionale del Pollino
- Museo Archeologico statatale Vincenzo Laviola
- The Feast of Sant'Antonio Abate on the 3rd Sunday of January;
- Feast of San Giuseppe on 19th March;
- Feast of the Madonna dell'Annunziata on 24th March;
- Feast of San Vincenzo Ferreri on the last Sunday in April.