Facing the Tyrrhenian coasts in front of
the Island of Stromboli, on a cape of the Sant’Eufemia
Gulf, is where one will come across Pizzo Calabro
situated in a beautiful panoramic position. It is among one
of more evocative centres of Calabria.
The centre Napitia was a colony founded by the Focesi led
by the mercenary leader Nepeto (XII century BC). It was destroyed
much later by the Saracens.
The great Roman orator Cicerone and S. Peter were guests of
Napitium, when they stopped here whilst on their way to Rome.
The ancient centre was abandoned during the first Christian
era, probably due to pirate attacks from the sea.
The centre was re founded in 903 with its present day name
which derives from Pizzu, which in dialect signifies promontory,
referring to the place where Pizzo is situated. Pizzo entered
the following century under the Calabrian possessions of the
Normans, who had an important palazzo built. It then passed
hands under the Swabians (1194-1266) and later to the Angioinians
(1266-1442). The XIV century saw the arrival of some Basilian
monks who constructed a monastery (1363). The centre continued
to develop and fortify itself to satisfy the need for defence
from the beginning of Turkish raids from the sea (XV century).
The Aragonese (1442) had the castle built, which later became
protagonist in a clash between the French and Bourbon troops
from the Reign of Naples. Gioacchino Murat was imprisoned
and executed here.
In the XV century Pizzo passed hands to the Sanseverino family,
but was confiscated in 1504 for felony and conceded to Don
Diego de Mendoza. Therefore, the fief went to the Silva family
who kept Pizzo until the end of feudalism (1806).
A visit to the City
A visit to Pizzo offers noteworthy panoramic views overlooking
the coast and Tyrrhenian Sea as well as Medieval glimpses
of rare beauty. One can enjoy pleasant walks through the historical
centre, that is, where it is possible to visit the San Giorgio
Collegiate (1632), which preserves important 16th century
The San Sebastiano Church is located nearby. To complete the
visit to religious buildings in Pizzo, one can visit the Purgatorio
(Purgatory) Church, the Grazie Church and not too far from
the habitation, the Piedigrotta Church carved out in tuff
in front of the beach by some shipwrecked Neapolitans at the
end of the 17th century.
However, the Castle (1486) is a major architectonic element
of great value. It was built on the wishes of Ferdinand 1
of Aragona. From here one can reach Pizzo Marine, which is
well equipped for seaside tourism.
One should not miss the experience of stopping to taste the
famous Pizzo truffle, hazelnut and chocolate ice-cream dusted
Place of interest
- Castello (1486)
- Chiesa di San Giorgio (1632)
- Chiesa di San Sebastiano
- Chiesa delle Grazie
- Chiesa del Purgatorio
- Chiesa di Piedigrotta ('600)
- Palazzo Gagliardi
- Visita di Vibo Valentia
- Visita di Tropea
- Nessun Museo segnalato
- Festival del Mare in luglio
- Città di Pizzo