Not far away from Recanati,
Potenza Picena rises on the top of a hill
to the right of the Potenza and not far from the Park
of the Sibillini Mounts.
In ancient time nearby it rose the Roman Potentia
that as a result of the fall of the Roman Empire was plundered
and destroyed by Visighots commanded by Alarico.
The fugitive citizens founded Potenza Picena in a surer place.
Razed to the ground in 1116 for order of
the emperor Enrico V, was founded again 12
years later in obedience to bishop of Fermo's
wishes with the name of Montesanto.
In 1562 Montesanto managed to resist to the
attack of the duke Francesco d'Este who wanted
to take possession of the city.
Still surrounded by its town-walls (XIV cent.),
Potenza Picena is rich of monuments and medieval churches
with posterior restorations operated during the XVI and XVII
centuries. Among the civic buildings we remember the Palace
Comunale (1200) and Palazzo del Podestà
(XIV cent.) in the main public square of the village.
Among the several churches we cite the Church of San
Francesco, whose first nucleus seems to be founded
by the saint arrived in Potenza Picena in 1222, the Church
of Sant'Agostino in the historical center and the
Collegiata di S.Stefano.