The Ursiana Basilica dates
back to the beginning of the 5th Century. Its name comes from
the fact that Bishop Sant’Orso had it built; it was
entirely rebuilt in 1743 (and is the present day Cathedral).
Within the Cesarea city, Galla Placidia, he had the Church
of San Giovanni Evangelista (St. John the Baptist) built.
You can also find the so called Galla Placidia Mausoleum in
the area of the Domus Augusta, which was originally adjacent
to the narthex of Santa Croce. In 451-460 the Orthodox or
Neoniano Baptistery was built next to the Ursiana Cathedral.
Under Teodorico domination (6th Century); the Aryans erected
their buildings next to the nucleus of the Catholic faith:
the Cathedral of San Teodoro, now Church of the Holy Spirit
(reconstructed in the 16th Century) and the Octagonal Baptistery
(known as that of the Aryans). Teodorico also had, the Cathedral
of Sant’Apollinare Nuovo, built.
The Teodoriciana City’s territory ended to the east
of the Coriandro field, where the Mausoleum was erected and
dedicated to Teodorico. Under the Amalasunta reign, construction
began on the San Vitale, which was consecrated in 547 and
completed after the Gothic war. In 549, the Cathedral of Sant’Apollinare
in Classe was consecrated. All the sacred buildings mentioned
herein, all contain splendid examples of mosaic art. Ravenna
could therefore be considered amongst the major European centres
for examples of ancient mosaics, their restoration and also
of their contemporary production. The following are also worth
mentioning: the Communal Building and the Palazzetto Veneto
(15th Century), the Archiepiscopal Museum (with its ivory
chair by Massimiano, 6th Century), the Academy of Beautiful
Art (containing the statue by G. Guidarelli of T. Lombardo).
The construction of Dante’s tomb, by Camillo Morigia,
dates back to the 18th Century.