one of the most beautiful historic villages of Italy but its
origins goes back to Etruscan age. The first sure indication
is however in the roman chronology that quotes the battle
of Menana of the 308 b.C.
arrived with the construction of the via Flaminia that passes
here and became the main decumano of the city (street from
W to E).
Bevagna rises to the margins of the Foligno's plain, on the
slopes of gentle hills cultivated with olive trees not far
away from Montefalco.
The city immediately declares its medieval aspect in the doors
of the town-walls crowned by towers and with its churches
dating back to the end of XII century: Saint Michele
Arcangelo and San Silvestro. Nice Mosaics, belonged
to some thermal buildings, remain to testimony of a more ancient
past, a roman theatre of the II sec. a.D. as well as the rests
of a Roman temple. Piazza Silvestri is a
rare example of condensation and synthesis of the powers,
represented here through some buildings of rare fascination:
Palazzo dei Consoli (1270) representative
of the town council, the two churches already reported above
and the church of Saint Domenico of the XIII sec. for the