Not far away from Teramo
you find Campli, medieval village of rare beauty. Its history
however begins already in the bronze age with the first human
settlements in the territory of Campli proved also by the
discovery of the necropoli (ancient cemetery) of Campovalano
(X-VI sec.). It was then annexed to the republic of Rome and
fought to its flank against Hannibal.
After the temporal suspension due to the fall of Rome, Campli
appears in a document of 894 regarding a land change, concluded
between count Adalberto and the bishop Giovanni D' Apruzio.
It followed the phenomenon of the "incastellamento"
(becoming a castle in order words) with the construction of
one town walls that was opened in the six doors of the village.
It made part of the Reign of Naples knowing a period of economic
development. In 1306 was founded the convent
of S. Francesco and subsequently it was built the Hospital
In 1538 it becomes fief of the Farnese family
after having been yielded in dowry to Margherita of Austria,
daughter of the Emperor Carl V gone spouse to Ottavio Farnese.
In 1600 it became episcopal center for wanting
of Pope Clemente VIII, obtaining also the title it of City.
In the 1734 Campli it passes to the reign of the Borboni with
Campli is richest of art treasures that we shortly list here:
the church of S. Maria in Platea (XIV sec.),
the church of San Pietro di Campovalano (XIII
sec.), the convent of San Berardino, founded
in the 1449 by San Giovanni from Capestrano, the church of
San Paolo, the near Saint Staircase, the
convent of Sant' Onofrio.