As it demonstrates the digging
of one "palafittopoli" (primitive village built
on water) in the near Piana del Fucino, the territory was
inhabited since remote times (II millenium a.C.).
The history of Celano can be read through
the architectonic history of Castello Piccolomini.
The counts of Celano begin the construction of the castle
(1392) building up the first two plans. Lionello
Acclozamora (1451), new lord of Celano, wants
the construction of the noble floor and the four angular towers.
In 1463 fief passes to the Piccolomini family
in obedience to king Ferdinand of Aragon's will. These last
ones complete the construction with some small hanging loggias,
destroyed during the earthquake of 1915, and add the angular
towers along the castle's walls. The castle and the power
in Celano pass then in several hands of important families:
the Peretti, the Savelli, Sforza-Cesarini, gli Sforza-Cabrera
Bodavilla, the De Torres, the Arezzo and the Dragonetti.
To include in the visit to Celano the church of San
Giovanni Batista with frescoes of senese school,
which conservesn the urns of three Christian martyrs (Simplicio,
Costanzo and Vittoriano) and the church of Santa Maria
Valle Verde (XV-XVI sec.) with frescoes ('500) and
a painting by Giovanni Antonio Bazzi known as “Sodoma”.
The center is dominated by the Castello Piccolomini (1392),
today center of the Museum of Sacred Art, with its imposing
figure composed by a mastio with four great merlate towers
and one encircled walls with square and cylindrical towers
to the angles.