Risen on the slopes of Monte
Bove, few kilometres from Lazio
region, Tagliacozzo is a medieval village built up under
Franchi's dominion and Saracens' invasions (IX sec.).
to the de Pontibus family, Tagliacozzo was theatre of one
of the most important battles for the European history of
the Middle Ages: the crash between Corradino di Svevia,
of the Svevian dinasty, and Carl Anjous of the French kingdom.
Battle that saw prevailing the last ones with the consequent
distruction of the Svevian Empire. Corradino, brought to Naples,
was executed in the public public square. The episode is made
famous also by a passage inside the Divine Commedia by Dante
The fief passed then in the hands of the Orsini who
held it until 1497, year in which the Pope yielded it to the
Colonna who managed it until 1806. It passed
then to the Reign of Naples and finally it
was annexed to Italy, even if with some resistance due to
its faith in the papal state.
Among the religious buildings to visit we mention the Church
of Saints Cosma and Damiano, dating back to the VIII
century, in Romanesque style; the Church of Sant'Antonio Abate
(first half of '400); the Sanctuary of Maria Santissima
dell'Oriente (XIV sec.), that guards an image of
the Vergin escaped to the iconoclasty fury of Lion III Isaurico;
the Church of San Francesco, that accommodates
the tomb of the first biographer of S.Francesco: blessed Tommaso
During the first half of '300, under the management of Orsini
family, in Tagliacozzo it was built up the Palazzo
Ducale, embellished with mullioned windows, stairs
and frescoes in the inner rooms representing the life of Christ.