Village built on the slopes
of the Corno Piccolo, secondary top of the Gran Sasso,
carried for centuries the name of Petra Cimmeria, perhaps
from the Cimmeri people who came from East or because of the
camel shaped rock that overhangs the village.
The most ancient date that gives the existence of Pietracamela
is 1452, wrote on a plaque on the portal of the church of
San Giovanni. However the zone was already inhabited during
the Roman age as demonstrated by three distinguished villages:
S.Leucio, Plicanti and Rioruso.
In the Middle Ages, with the advent of the
Angioini and the Aragoneses, Pietracamela belonged to the
Orsini family in order then to pass later to the Reign of
the Two Sicilies under the dominion of the emperor Carl V,
heir of the Aragonese reign.
A visit to Pietracamela comprises the church of San
Giovanni (1432), the sail shaped bell tower, the
ancient meridian and the clock; the church of San
Rocco (1530); the casa de li Signuritte,
with mullioned windows of `the 400; the house of don Ioani
of 1505. She arches, alleys in stone, balconies and the old
Fontanas accompany the visitor between these places..