Not far from Lagopesole, in the province of Potenza, is where
one can find Avigliano, an important artisanal
centre of the region.
The origins of its name is linked to Gens Avilia, assignee
of a Fundus Avillanus, or Avilius, which included the territory
of Avigliano during the Roman Republican Era (II century AD).
The Fundus then followed all the vicissitudes of that region
after the end of the Roman Empire: the Goth invasions and
the Ostrogoth Reign (496-535), the Greek-Gothic War and the
ephemeral dominion of the Byzantines (VI century), the arrival
of the Longobards (VII century), who ruled the territory until
the arrival of the Normans during the XI century.
Avigliano was cited once more in history in a document during
Avigliano merged into the Swabian Empire (1194-1269) and then
became Angioiniansan property. From time to time it was assigned
to various feudatories.
During 1290 the Dominicans erected their convent.
The City’s statutes were promulgated and a University
was founded in 1579.
The nobles of Avigliano were the powerful Caracciolo Family
and therefore the Doria Family, who ruled until the abolition
of feudatory rights (1806).
The seismic tremours of 1694 damaged the mother church but
the population was saved.
After taking part in the Republican Motions of 1799, the Renaissance
motions of 1820 and 1848, as well as the Unification of Italy
(1860-61), Avigliano adopted Filo-Bourbon politics and became
one of the legitimistic centres of Basilicata.
Firstly brigandism then emigration, were the major social
phenomena which characterised the life of Avigliano during
the last part of the XIX century.
A visit to the City
The centre of Avigliano is Piazza Gianturco. From here, one
can begin a visit to the Medieval village and the Riformati
Church. The visit continues among churches and elegant 17th
and 18th century buildings.
One can visit the The Madonna del Carmine Sanctuary (1538)
about 9 kilometres away, which already existed in the IX century.
Not to be missed: A visit to the nearby Lagopesole, where
one can admire Frederick the Great’s Castle.
Places of interest
The Riformati Church; Madonna delle Grazie Chapel; S. Lucia
Chapel; SS Trinità Chapel; San Michele Arcangelo (Archangel
St. Michael) Church; Santa Maria of the Chiacchieroni Church;
Taccone Towers; Baroni Sarnelli of Corani building; Doria
building; Salina building; Madonna del Carmine Sanctuary;
San Cataldo Thermal Springs; Lagopesole Castle (XIII century);
Monte Torretta Archaeological site (XI century BC).