Gallicchio is situated in a panoramic position
on the left slope of the Val d’Agri. It is a small centre
with Medieval origins.
Its name derives from the Latin Galli ictus, meaning “Rooster
that throws”, an image reproduced in the communal coat
In ancient times it was known by the name of Gallicchio vetere,
a centre founded by the indigenous Lucani (IV century BC)
and destroyed by the Saracens during the IX century. The inhabitants
escaped and sought refuge in the cliffs of “Fosso dei
Monaci,” giving the origins of the new centre of Gallicchio.
During the Medieval era, it is cited in some documents as
a Monastery (1060) or as a simple Parish (1123). What is certain
is the presence of ecclesiastics during the centuries, including
the periods between the Saracen raids (IX century) and the
advent of Norman power (XI century).
It was fief of the following families: the Missanelli, Coppola
and finally the Attolini Barons who gave the name to Palazzo
Baronale (Baronial building), still present today in Gallicchio.
After the Unitarian period which led to the constitution of
the Reign of Italy (1861), Gallicchio experienced a social
phenomenon which distinguished this part of the south from
the rest of Italy; the brigandage, poverty and emigration
across the ocean and the sad page in history of the Second
A visit to the City
Strolling through the Medieval district of Gallicchio evokes
strong emotions: characteristic paths in stone, unexpected
climbs, and panoramic glimpses all attract the visitor's attention.
In the Chiesa Madre (Mother Church), one can admire a fresco
from 1619 by Iacopo Montagna, while the 17th century Madonna
del Carmine Church preserves canvasses and interesting frescoes.
Place of interest
The Chiesa Matrice of S. Maria Assunta; Madonna del Carmine
Church (1610); S. Giuseppe Church; S. Rocco Church; Palazzo