In a panoramic position on a ridge between the Brádano
and Basento Valleys, is where one will find Migliónico,
an ancient village also known by the name of "Napulicch"
Finds which have been discovered in the Cava S. Rocco locality
covering a full arc between the VI and IV century BC, show
the existence of an Italic or Greek centre on the territory
of the actual village.
The foundation of modern Migliónico seems to date back
to the X century and was the work of the Byzantines, who erected
a fortress in defence of continual Saracen attacks.
With the arrival of the Normans, around halfway through the
XI century, Migliónico was reinforced by the construction
of protective city walls and a Castle.
The rise of Angioiniansan power (1268) saw Migliónico
become a fief of the powerful Sanseverino family.
The change of power to the Aragonese (1442) and the birth
of the rich mercantile bourgeoisie who supported them, created
new social tension between the King and noble baron ranks.
The Sanseverino family invited all the most powerful barons
from the Reign of Naples to the Castle (1st October 1481).
Once reunited in the Malconsiglio hall, they simulated an
act of submission to King Ferdinando I of Aragon, whilst they
awaited help from the Pope, who was their ally in the clash
with Imperial power. This episode became known in history
as the “Congiura dei Baroni” (Baron’s conspiracy).
A visit to the City
The Migliónico Castle is an imposing construction
with six perimetrical towers which dominate the village entrance.
The construction was the merit of the Normans. It was then
re-adjusted during the Swabian era (XIII century).
On entering the village, one will find oneself in Piazza del
Popolo, where one can admire the beautiful Chiesa Madre of
S. Maria Maggiore (Mother Church) with an interesting portal
from the XIII century and in its interior a Polittico di Cima
da Conegliano (A polyptych - a work of art composed of several
connected panels - from the summit of Conegliano) (1499).
Among the other cult buildings, we would like to mention:
S. Maria delle Grazie (XIII century), S. Francesco with its
beautiful Romanesque bell tower, SS. Trinità Church
with its internal frescoes and the ex Reformed Fathers Convent,
also with its Romanesque bell tower form the XIV century.
There are many possible excursions due to the beauty of the
surrounding territory and the presence of the S. Giuliano
Lake, where one can also visit the Cento Santi (One Hundred
Saints) Crypt dating back to the VIII century.
Place of interest
The Malconsiglio Castle; S. Maria Maggiore Mother Church;
Ancient Towers; San Francesco Church; Trinità Church;
Ex Reformed Fathers Convent; Madonna delle Grazie Chiesetta
(XII century); Porticella Church; Monte dei Morti Church;
San Giuliano Lake; Cento Santi Crypt (VIII century); Pietrapenta
Feast of the Madonna della Particella on 2nd Sunday of September.