Moliterno is a panoramic centre positioned
on the right slope of the splendid Val d’Agri, and is
an interesting village dominated by its Medieval castle.
Its territory has been inhabited since the Bronze Age, as
testified by finds discovered in the area.
The true and proper foundation of Moliterno instead, is connected
to the continual clashes between the Longobards and Saracens
beginning from the IX century. Firstly during this era, a
Longobard defensive tower was erected and then, with the destruction
of the Grumentum during 975 or 1031 by the Saracens, some
fugitives constructed a rural home.
An hypothesis, moreover contested, proposes that the village’s
name derives from Moles aeterna, referring to the Longobard
During 1050 the Normans were in power and had the Castle built.
They reigned until 1186, the year of change of power by marriage
to the Swabians. Under them, Moliterno became the property
of Nicolaus de Moliterno (1239).
Carlo I D’Angiò granted the fief to Oddone of
Brayda (1269), the General of his cavalry, whose family ruled
the village until 1477, the year the Sanseverino family came
During 1524, the Sanseverino family sold the fief for 39.000
ducats to Don Antonio Carafa, Prince of Stigliano, whose family
governed Moliterno until 1682.
The Spinelli family succeeded this family and ruled for only
three years, then Moliterno passed hands to Fabrizio Pignatelli,
Prince of Marsiconuovo.
During 1806, after the law which abolished feudal rights,
the fief was divided among various existing creditors.
A visit to the City
The profile of Moliterno is dominated by its Castle, deriving
from the first Longobard Tower and subsequently amplified
and readjusted numerous times.
One can visit various religious buildings in the City, among
which the Santa Croce Church, the Assunta Mother Church and
the San Pietro Chapel, dating back to the XIII century.
Walking through the historical centre, however, one will come
across many other churches and nobiliary buildings which attract
and stimulate the more attentive visitor’s eye.
There are many possibilities for excursions to neighbouring
Medieval centres in Val d’Agri, where one will also
come across the Grumentum Archaeological Park.
Moliterno is also known for its production of an excellent
Pecorino cheese (A mix of sheep and goats milk).
Place of interest
The Angioiniansan Castle; Assunta Church (XVII century);
Santa Croce Church (1613); S. Pieter Chapel (XIII century);
S.S. Trinità Church (XVI century); Dominican Convent
(XVII century); Rosario Church (1510); Palazzo Levito; Palazzo
Gilberti; Palazzo Valinoti (XVIII century); Palazzo Bianculli;
S. Francesco Church (XVI century), S. Maria del Vetere Church
located in Muraglie; Madonna of Arsieni Church (XVI century);
S. Caterina Church; Rural Church of the Madonna del Rito;
Fabbricata Spring in the Fabbricata locality; Grumentum Archaeological
Site; Grumento Nova.
Feast of the Madonna del Monte Vetere on the 1st Sunday of
May; Feast in honour of Saint Antonio on 13th June; Feast
in honour of the Madonna del Carmine on 15 and 16 July; San
Domenico Fair on 3rd August; Patronal Feast of Saint San Domenico
on 4th August; Feast of San Cristoforo on 14th August; Feast
of the Madonna del Monte Vetere on 8th September; Feast of
San Rocco on 9th September; San Francesco of Paola Fair on
25th September; Santa Lucia Fair on 13th December.