Midway between Avigliano and Muro Lucano is where Bella
is situated. It is an ancient centre with pre-Roman origins
now close to the borders of Campania.
Its territory was inhabited in ancient times and the Roman
Era by the Osci, but it was the Medieval period that was historical
for Bella, when it took on an important political role in
the South. In particular, during the Norman and Swabian period
when construction of the castle began. It was later modified
by the Aragonese.
Bella developed with the unification of surrounding rural
homes under an administration desired by the Emperor Frederick
II. It was enfeoffed to the Acciaiuoli and partially destroyed
during the XIV century.
Bella was reconstructed under the wishes of King Ladislao
(XV century), and obtained the status of Royal City in the
subsequent century by paying 14.700 ducats. This title, however,
was immediately abandoned and the City was entrusted to the
Rondone Family (1564), who sold Bella to the Caracciolo Family
in 1591. The new owners ruled the City until 1806, the year
of abolition of feudal rights.
During the XVII century, as with all regions, Bella was scourged
by events of the Plague (1656), famine and earth tremours
during 1694, which provoked death in the population and damage
to their habitation.
In 1799, the population adhered to the Republican Ideals which
were brought to Italy by the French after the French Revolution.
The population was active and also later during the Carbonari
and Renaissance motions, which preceded the Unification of
Italy (1861) under the Sabaudo Reign.
During the same year, brigands invaded and plundered the village.
When Bella merged into the Reign of Italy, lands were seized
and distributed to local farmers in the area.
A further earthquake once again damaged the village during
A visit to the City
Only a portal and two towers remain from the Castle of ancient
foundation (XI century). In Bella, one can visit the 15th
century Madre dell’Assunta Church and the Santa Maria
delle Grazie, which preserves a cycle of frescoes in its interior.
In the surrounding territory finds testifying the Roman period
have been uncovered.
Places of interest
The Aragonese Castle (XI century); Madre dell’Assunta
Church (XV century), S. Maria della Grazie Church (XVI century).